AIDS Awareness Week planning underway

Kate Kompas

After weeks of preparation, the World AIDS Day Committee discussed tentative plans for the upcoming AIDS Awareness Week.

The World AIDS Day Committee has not officially named the week, but it will be held Dec. 1-5. The official World AIDS Day is Dec. 1. The theme for this year’s week is “Give Children Hope in a World with AIDS.”

Similar to Week Without Violence and Women’s Week, the World AIDS Day Committee is hoping to raise consciousness among Iowa State students about the damage AIDS causes and how to prevent the spread of the deadly disease.

Mary Engstrom, member of World AIDS Day Committee and health education supervisor at the Student Health Center, stressed the week’s plans are subject to change.

World AIDS Day will be Dec. 1 followed by a Day Without Art. On this day, all the artwork on campus and in the Brunnier Art Museum will be shrouded with black cloth as a reminder of the damage AIDS has caused all over the world.

Day Without Art focuses the attention on how HIV/AIDS has affected [the art community],” said Renee Senter, educational curator of the Brunnier Museum. “With the shrouding of the public art, we are showing what our campus would be like without art, and, in effect, what the world would be like without art.”

Eric Rhine, a New York artist who is living with HIV, will be speaking at the Brunnier Museum that evening. He will also spend the Day Without Art on campus, speaking with students from the College of Design.

Student Union Board films will also present “Jeffrey,” a popular Broadway play-turned-movie about a young man’s struggle with the disease. The film is scheduled to be held in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

On Dec. 2 for Tuesday Topics at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, the topic presented will be “Women and HIV.” The speech also will touch on the relationship between sexual assault and AIDS.

The Student Health Advisory Committee will be having “Bar Night” in Campustown on Dec. 3. Members of SHAC are expected to go around from bar to bar and distribute condoms in order to educate people about safer sex.

On Dec. 4. the World AIDS Day Committee is hoping to hold a candlelight vigil. Engstrom said the location of the vigil will be announced at a later date. She said the group hopes to have the vigil end at Lake Laverne, with people lighting candles and setting them adrift on the lake.

Also, the committee said they are working on getting booths set up around the Memorial Union and campus. The booths may contain order forms for AIDS Awareness Week t-shirts, as well as informational brochures and packets about the risks of getting AIDS and information about the actual AIDS test.

World AIDS Day t-shirts will be available throughout the week as well.

The next World AIDS Day Committee meeting is Tuesday at 6 p.m. on the second floor of the Student Health Center.