Graduate senators raise concerns about Veishea

Luke Dekoster

Veishea is in for a “major overhaul,” Terri Houston, assistant dean of students, told the Graduate Student Senate Monday night.

Houston, who is also the Veishea adviser, admitted during the meeting’s open forum that in past years, the Veishea committees “have not done a good job in showcasing the university.”

She asked for helpful input from the senators and from graduate students in general about how to change Veishea.

She said this will be a “challenging year” for Veishea.

Many committee positions remain open.

Houston said the “largest student-run spring festival in the country” is still in the planning stages, due to the uncertainty — until last week — about whether Veishea would be held at all.

“Veishea is a go, but there will be no alcohol,” Houston said, answering a question from one senator who wanted to know what would happen if he were seen drinking in Campustown or at off-campus locations.

“You’re a grown man. You do what you want,” Houston said.

She said Iowa State officials plan to patrol university property, and she said the Ames Police Department will give her the names of all students arrested for alcohol violations.

“All we’re saying is three days — don’t drink,” Houston said. “We might save a life.”

Although enforcement will be increased, Houston admitted enforcing the new regulations will be difficult.

“Managing that [policy] is going to be a monster. We’re asking you to help us help you keep it alcohol-free,” she said.

The no-alcohol pledge is being circulated at high schools and colleges near Ames in an effort to deter partiers from coming to Veishea specifically to drink, Houston said.

The issue of multiculturalism at ISU was also brought up during the open forum by Milton McGriff, who was representing The September 29th Movement.

McGriff asked the Senate to “consider putting a resolution through supporting multiculturalism.”

McGriff repeated his request to have a committee set up with half of the members chosen by The Movement and half picked by the administration.

Senator Michael Poray then asked McGriff why organizations such as GSS and the Government of the Student Body should not also be allowed to have representatives on the committee.

“We’ve sort of earned the right to speak on the issue,” said Allan Nosworthy, another Movement member.

In other business, the senate unanimously passed a bill outlining the fall allocations to graduate and professional student organizations.

Senator Kari Azevedo, who read the bill, said there will be a second allocation period in the spring.

At that time, groups not previously funded will be given priority. However, according to GSS policy, all groups may apply.