Residence halls see plenty of new additions

Kelsey Foutch

Iowa State residence halls and their residents experienced numerous renovations this summer, many of which have been completed.

Finished just last week was the apartment occupied by Oak-Elm residence hall director Christine Fowler.

Basic renovations included a complete remodeling of the two- bedroom apartment’s living room and closet space. The bathroom and kitchen areas also received attention.

Additions took place between the end of May and the end of September, with some help from ISU students.

Web Wilke, manager of facilities support services, was a supervisor overseeing the four design and architectural engineering students who lent a hand with renovations and layout plans.

There were two main students who were involved daily and one or two students who helped periodically.

Wilke said everyone involved, especially the students, had a good experience working together on the plans.

The university also saved money by avoiding high costs of outside engineers, Wilke said.

Aside from the students, the only other workers were employees of the ISU facilities staff, which might explain the length of time the renovations required for completion.

The staff also was called on to attend to its normal duties during the renovations, and when summer came to a close, preparing the residence halls for incoming students took top priority over any other renovations and additions, officials said.

During construction, Fowler was moved into another apartment building and phone lines were transferred to provide students with a way to contact her.

In addition, directors regularly carried radios in order to attend to any problems involving the students.

Additional improvements made to the Linden-Oak-Elm residence facility include a post office for residents and a front-desk operation.

These features had not been a part of Linden-Oak-Elm in the past and the halls were the only ones on campus without such features. Front desk and post office additions were completed before Sept. 2.

Still under construction is the apartment occupied by Barton-Lyon-Freeman hall director Creighton Gaynor.

Gaynor is temporarily living in the basement of Maple Hall. He said the temporary relocation has not been a problem.

Though he is a new director and has yet to live in the apartment being renovated for his use, Gaynor is actively on duty as hall director, and students are able to reach him with any concerns.

Wilke said there are no immediate or approved plans in the works to remodel any other residence facilities in the near future.

Any discussion involving new plans would need to be added to a master plan during a department of residence meeting.