Starvation in Mother Hubbard’s kitchen

A.D. Selha

The fact is, September 22 does not mark the date on which Allan Nosworthy, or any other marginalized student on the Iowa State University campus, commenced losing the nutrition and sustenance necessary to carry out the everyday activities of a college student.

You see, marginalized students on the ISU campus have been facing starvation (without consent) throughout the history of the institution.

I’ll spare the reader a laundry list, though looking at Allan’s requests should give some idea of the lack of sustenance available to programs which would provide a healthy learning environment for all of ISU’s students.

September 22 marks a date on which one student, in all disrespect to the powers that be, took control of his own health, body and learning environment. The climate of starvation has not changed between September 21 and September 22.

That which has changed is rather than allowing racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, ableism and oppression to control the climate of starvation, Allan Nosworthy has seized power to maintain his physical, mental and spiritual environment. Starvation is most definitely a matter of power and control.

The difference between self-starvation and living in Mother Hubbard’s kitchen is who holds the power.

And now several ISU administrators have expressed concern for Allan’s health. Could this possibly be a concern that a student is seizing power over himself, over his own life, rather than allow the administration said power?

I know, that statement almost sounds like it comes from an extreme skeptic afflicted by paranoia.

I wouldn’t mention it, or even think it, except that I remember the lack of concern for our health just last spring when several September 29th Movement members were facing the threat of punishment for having peacefully demonstrated in Beardshear Hall.

The stress of this ordeal caused many of us to not be able to eat, to hold the food down when we did eat or to sleep.

In fact, some of us received medical attention for problems caused by the stress.

Now, please correct me if I’m wrong, but this went on for months and I don’t recall a deep concern for our physical or mental well-being on the part of ISU administration.

But let me, for just this moment, give ISU administrators the benefit of the doubt and pose the following suggestion.

If indeed there is a deep concern for the starvation of an ISU student, look around and see the thousands of students on your campus starving and thirsting for the programs which will quench their desire for an education.

Now you see it? ACT. Now you don’t. It’s really that simple.

I’m a graduate of ISU’s Master’s program. I consider myself fortunate and successful for having been able to attend college at all, let alone with a high GPA and awards for my success.

But could I have gotten more out of my education? You bet.

Having to spend time worrying about and dealing with safety, homophobia, transgenderphobia and sexism most certainly gave me an education; but it wasn’t necessarily the education I was paying for and certainly not the same one for which non-marginalized students paid. (I’m still waiting for my discounted money back.)

Unless ISU is willing to go to a sliding pay scale, all students deserve the same access to an education.

If this is not provided, I hope students will join Allan in whatever ways possible to take control of their bodies, their lives and their educations.

And Allan, lunch is on me … sending you all the sustenance I can muster.

A.D. Selha

A September 29th Movement Alumnus/On-going Agitator

Minneapolis, Minn.