There will be a Veishea

Veishea will continue into it 76th year. It was not surprising Iowa State President Martin Jischke opted to leave Veishea on the 1998 calendar. After all, several student leaders representing the student body chose to take a pledge making the campus alcohol-free during the celebration.

Although not all ISU students may agree with the decision, we should accept the pledge and take advantage of this opportunity to save Veishea.

This is our opportunity to prove to the university we can have a good time without alcohol. We also must prove those of us who live off campus can drink responsibly.

In order for Veishea 1998 to be a success, we need to realize the Veishea many of us remember is gone for good. Wild, out-of-control parties are now an event of the past. There are going to be a lot more security officers and a lot more arrests if we chose to ignore the pledge.

Jischke announced there will be harsher penalties for those who break the pledge, including suspension and even expulsion from the university.

In addition, a special task force will be formed to monitor the greek houses, residence halls and off-campus housing.

Let’s face it, the pledge has been made and unless we want to pay heavy fines or risk losing Veishea, we need to keep our end of the bargain and follow it.

It seems as though this is the last ray of hope, last surviving straw, last gasp of breath for Veishea. Jischke and the university have agreed to pull out all the stops to make Veishea an enjoyable and worthwhile experience for ISU students.

Hey, if Jischke’s willing to spend his money to bring in a big band, let him.

A dry Veishea may not be our ideal Veishea, but it is necessary.

Let’s at least give it a try and see if we can be the student body who continues the Veishea tradition.