English intimidating for some students

Kate Kompas

There is no question that at first glance, Iowa State may seem to be an intimidating place for a student with little English language experience. But the Intensive English Orientation Program helps students adjust both academically and culturally.

IEOP is just that — very intensive. A typical student studies the basic components of the English language for four to five hours a day, 20 to 25 hours a week, Pat Morgan, director of IEOP, said.

This year there are 87 participants in IEOP, Roger Bertelsen, associate director of IEOP, said. There is an even mix of male and female participants in the program, as well as graduate and undergraduate students, Bertelsen said.

There are six levels of the program, from beginning to advanced, Morgan said. The levels focuses on the students’ comprehension of grammar, reading, vocabulary, composition and communication.

“The purpose of IEOP is to prepare students for academic success,” Morgan said.

The majority of students who enter the IEOP program want to improve their English or improve on their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score, Morgan said.

For admission to ISU, a student generally needs a TOEFL score of 500 out of a possible 600 points. The test is composed of questions based on English comprehension, listening, reading, and writing an essay, Sara Stoltz, conversation group coordinator, said.

“TOEFL would be a challenging test for any student,” she said. “If an American student had problems with English in high school, I think he would find the test somewhat difficult.”

If a student doesn’t receive the necessary TOEFL score, they can enroll in IEOP for additional help. A student without the necessary TOEFL score is on a conditional admittance to ISU.

These students usually take only one or two classes while they pursue their tutoring at IEOP. It usually takes a student one or two semesters to get the necessary TOEFL score, or to be confident enough in their use of the language, Morgan said.

A student usually leaves the program after he achieves the necessary TOEFL score, Bertelsen said.

A student can take the TOEFL as many times as necessary to pass, Morgan said.

If a student doesn’t receive the necessary TOEFL score, he will remain on a trial basis at the university.

A student can then choose to pursue tutoring from IEOP, or study on his own, Morgan said.

IEOP has numerous programs to help make students comfortable with English. One program is the Conversation Group Activities program, in which students can interact with native English speakers.

The groups meet twice a week for an hour. The native English- speaking students, or the “leaders” of the group, help direct the conversations. Each group is made up of one leader and three or four international students.

“I think the groups help the students immensely because it helps make students feel better connected,” Stoltz said. “It helps them if they know they have some American friends.”

Stoltz also said the groups help diminish some stereotypes ISU students may have about international students.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily worse here than at other universities,” Stoltz said. “But 10 percent of ISU students are international students, so there has to be more education [for non-international students.]”

With all the intensive studying, Morgan insists IEOP doesn’t put any additional pressure on international students.

Yusutomo Suzuki, an international student who was enrolled in IEOP, committed suicide in early August. Rumors surrounding his death speculated part of his apparent depression stemmed from his troubles learning English.

“The [rumors] aren’t true; [Suzuki] spoke English very well,” Morgan said, adding he had already gotten the necessary TOEFL score. “Any pressure on him didn’t come from us, it probably came from him,” he said.

Bertelsen said IEOP sent out its heartfelt condolences to Suzuki’s family and friends.

Morgan said the majority of IEOP “graduates” are very comfortable in their knowledge of English. Morgan said some of them could even be considered fluent.