ISU alum to kick off lecture series

Amy Jo Miller

Most Iowa State students come to college expecting to be able to earn a living after graduation.

Roy Reiman, an alumnus of ISU and entrepreneur, will help students get closer to that dream when he discusses “The 21st Century Entrepreneur” from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Friday. The lecture will take place in Benton Auditorium at the Scheman Continuing Education Building.

Reiman’s talk will kick off the Reiman Entrepreneurial Lecture Series, part of ISU’s Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship, which will bring locally and nationally known entrepreneurs to the ISU.

The lecture series was established last December through a generous donation to the university from Reiman and his wife.

The Reimans have been longtime supporters of ISU.

Since 1993, they have made several substantial contributions, including support for the Reiman Gardens, ISU’s horticulture gardens and the Reiman Scholars in Entrepreneurship program.

The entrepreneurship program enables students to perform summer internships with start-up companies.

Benjamin Allen, dean of the college of business, said there are three main reasons for the lecture series.

He said the lectures are designed to raise the level of interest about the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship, to develop relationships with key entrepreneurs and to educate.

Judi Nielsen, assistant director of outreach at the Pappajohn Center, said the center is excited to have Reiman come and share his expertise.

Clinical professors will share their personal experiences with ISU students, faculty, staff and members of the Ames community during the series, Nielsen said.

“Roy has an interest in the lecture series and sees it as an outreach function for students,” Nielsen said.

Steve Carter, interim director of the Pappajohn Center, said the lecture series will bring experienced entrepreneurs who have substantial experience in starting up companies to ISU.