ISU’s Rector set on building soccer program

Laurie Meythaler

Sophomore midfielder Lindsey Rector was the only Cyclone to play and start in all matches during the 1996 season. Last year she took 28 shots, scoring three times. Rather remarkable for a freshman.

This year Rector is avoiding the sophomore slump by surpassing her 1996 season accomplishments, and she is still moving.

So far, Rector has started all sixteen matches and leads the team in assists and shots on goal. She is Iowa State’s third-highest scorer, having taken 49 shots and netting five goals.

Rector is from St. Charles, Mo., where she attended Duchesne High School. At Duchesne, Rector was a four-year all-conference selection and a three-time all-metro/all-state pick. She was also chosen to play in the 1996 North/South High School All-Star Game in St. Louis.

In her senior year, she was named captain of her soccer team and was the school’s female athlete of the year. During her four high school seasons, she registered a total of 65 goals.

Rector did not limit her soccer skills to high school play. She also played on the JB Marine soccer club team, which was a four-time state champion and a three-time regional champion.

The team placed second in the Women’s Amateur Nationals in 1996, placed third in the nation in the Under-18 division in 1995 and won the national title in 1993 in the Under-16 division. Rector was also selected to play on the Olympic Development Program regional team.

It’s no wonder Rector has such a lengthy list of career accomplishments. She has been playing since the age of four.

“My father got me into soccer. He took me out to the fields every day and played with me,” Rector said. “He has been the most influential person in my soccer career.”

Rector said she chose ISU because she knew the team would keep improving, and she wanted to be a part of building a program.

“The team has changed a lot during the last year. Last year was frustrating. We knew the team was good, but we didn’t click. We’ve changed dramatically,” Rector said.

“[Coach] Cathy Klein is dedicated; she wants to build a winning program. She’s motivated.”

Rector is team-oriented, with her goals pertaining to helping the team reach the next level.

Current goals for Rector include helping the team make the Big 12 Conference Tournament this season and making it to nationals within the next two years.

Her willingness to help out the team is evident in matches because her assist total of 12 is the team’s highest.

Rector said the team aspect of the game is what has kept her playing for so long.

“If someone is down, there is always someone else there to help motivate you. I have never wanted to give up playing because I want to be there for everyone else,” she said.

Even though Rector always lends a foot to those in need, she also puts forth great individual efforts that show in her numerous shots on goal this season. She wants to continue playing soccer as long as she can, but there are not many options. However, there is a new women’s professional league, as well as a women’s national team.

Rector summed up her reason for playing soccer by saying, “I like playing because it’s about the team. That has kept me going.”

Rector said being a student-athlete makes college life easier to balance, since her time is structured with a study table and road trips.

“If I were a regular student, I wouldn’t know what to do with my free time,” she said.