Apathy, ignorance and fear

So here we are, on this highly esteemed campus. A place of higher learning and a hub of mass activity.

A place where opinions are formed, bonds are made and stands are taken. Or are they?

In a place where the young mind forms into the adult mind and the inexperienced thought becomes the experienced action, it is amazing how little thought some of our fellow students are giving to the issues they are facing.

Whether it be Catt Hall or campus diversity, some of us seem to be a tad bit nonchalant about it.

Even if it is the Veishea pledge or the Runyan murder trial, some of us are a little bit ignorant to the facts and the figures.

What is wrong with us? Why are so many of us afraid to address anything? Why do we cringe at the thought of protest or the possible questioning of authority?

This is what college is all about. Our country and our history are founded on the ability to raise questions and burn flags.

When we students close our eyes to what is going on around us, we close our eyes to what might happen to us. If we choose to ignore the issues of today, the issues of tomorrow will be our downfall.

There are many important things to worry about, diversity, alcohol issues, even the renaming of buildings. These are not more important than graduation and great resumes, they are just as important.

After all, the man who is too scared to stand for something is dumb enough to fall for anything.

So if you have something you care about, fight for it. Sitting on your butt isn’t worth it.