ISU vs Baylor on the electronic gridiron

Gloria D. Stewart

Jack Trice Stadium is not the only place Baylor University will challenge Iowa State University this weekend.

The World Wide Web is the site for a head-to-head battle of a different sort.

No helmets, cleats or pads are needed. All that is required is Internet access, a brain and some time.

College JEOPARDY! offers ISU students a site to challenge rival campuses in a war of wisdom.

This on-line game is located at www.station.sony.com.

This week, ISU students are neck and neck with Homecoming 1997 rival Baylor University.

As of Wednesday, Baylor edged ahead of ISU in College JEOPARDY! with a high score of 179,200 for a rank of 53rd among the top 100 colleges, according to the Web site.

ISU was 61st with a high score of 162,400. The average score for participating ISU students was 11,453.

Simone Bloomer, of Fleishman-Hillard in Los Angeles, said more than 25,000 students have played the on-line game show during this 12-week tournament.

Steve Lin of Duke University was the top player this week with cyber-winnings of $115,866.

To play College JEOPARDY!, one must first log in to the Web site and fill out some basic information to become a member.

There is no fee, and only the player’s log-on name is displayed on the public pages.

The registration process asks for a “station” name (what the player wants to be called), a password and the player’s alma mater. It also takes the player’s real name and address, “in case you win a prize.”

And there are prizes to win.

According to the site, the grand prize for this fall’s tournament is a new Pontiac, and 50 runners-up will get Pontiac jackets.

The top 10 student scorers each week also win prizes, according to the site.

The first five win $400 in long-distance Sprint services. The next five get $100 certificates from The Gap.

Participants can also win prizes by entering the sweepstakes every week and by playing three games a week.

Visitors to the College JEOPARDY! site can check the stats for ISU’s rank and see if any students have made it to the top 10 list or into the Wildcard 100.

On Wednesday, there were no ISU contestants in the top 100, but Baylor had three students there.

The game resembles the television version, with five categories of five answers each.

However, the cyber-version gives players four multiple choice questions to choose from with the option to pass.

If players miss a question, the game chooses the topic for them. If players give the correct answer, they may continue.

Some of the categories, which vary each time a player logs in, includes bodies of water, cooking, opera, name the author, rivers, world capitals, hairstyles and TV spin-offs.

Players have until Nov. 10 to qualify for the elimination rounds.