Galloping Guido’s is the stepping stone to stardom

Angie Brehm

Making the jump from a high school play to a major university production can often be a difficult transition for young actors and actresses.

But four Iowa State theater students are bound to help students change that jump into a simple gallop.

Galloping Guido’s, created by Herb Sawyer, Jack Meggers, Josh Bryner and Jason Losh, is an acting and directing group on campus that performs every other Thursday night.

“Galloping Guido’s is a stepping stone to the main stage,” said Herb Sawyer, a junior in performing arts.

The group performs three to four 10-minute experimental plays featuring anyone who chooses to direct or act in a play.

Sawyer said interested students can bring their own ideas, give suggestions, or even call the people in Galloping Guido’s for ideas.

Sawyer encouraged anyone who has past experience in acting and directing, or anyone who is just interested in theater to come to these performances.

“Our job is putting the pieces of the puzzle together,” Sawyer said about the four creators. “We keep the machine working.”

Sawyer said he and the other creators keep schedules, get other people involved and act and direct when they are needed.

Most of the Thursday night skits are free, but occasional performances at the M-Shop do cost a couple of dollars, Sawyer said.

Galloping Guido’s performs two big productions each semester at the M-Shop.

The next major performance is “Doing the Cleavers,” which will be performed in November.

Sawyer said most of the performances are free because the group is an extension of classroom work.

He said it is a “lab for theater” and is “for learning and enjoyment.”

“Most of the Thursday performances are put together quickly,” Sawyer said. “That makes them more interesting and funny.”

Galloping Guido’s will be performing tonight in Pearson 314 at 10 p.m.

Sawyer said to come early because the room is usually filled and the doors to the building are locked by 10:00.