Main Event hits UNI campus

D.H. Leonard

The Main Event will take place this weekend at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls.

This Main Event, however, has nothing to do with wrestling.

Hundreds of Christian college students from across the Midwest will gather on the UNI campus for a weekend of fellowship and learning. The weekend will include small group interaction, learning workshops, musical entertainment and organized games, said Jenni Van Gorp, Fellowship of Christian Athletes leadership team member.

The annual event will host Neil McClendon, a nationally known Christian motivational speaker.

“The discussions [by McClendon] will talk about truth and grace, relevance and conviction and our walks with God,” Van Gorp said.

After each talk by McClendon, students from each school represented will gather together in small groups to discuss the importance and relevance of the talks, Van Gorp said.

The music will be led for the third consecutive year by Peder Eide, a recording artist from Minnesota.

The Main Event also will offer several workshops, which will serve as an opportunity for students to learn about specific issues, such as missions trips, leading a bible study and relationships, to name a few. Workshops will be led by FCA directors and Tentmaker representatives.

Many fun activities are planned for the weekend, Van Gorp said.

“We’ll do some mixers on Friday night, and paper plate calisthenics on Saturday morning,” she said.

Organizers are expecting about 400 students to attend the weekend’s event. There will be a $50 cost for the weekend’s activities at the door.