FCS Career Week offers hope for bright future

Tara Deering

The College of Family and Consumer Science kicked off its Career Week Monday.

The week started off with Monday’s presentation on professional image by Beverly Washington.

Washington is president of Image Factor, a Chicago-based company that specializes in personal and professional image building, business etiquette and self-management techniques, and communication and presentation enhancement.

Family and Consumer Science students will get to use what they learned at the Washington’s presentation today at Career Day.

More than 85 organizations will be in attendance talking to students about career paths, internships, full time positions and their organizations.

“We are very excited because we have a record number of organizations this year,” Beverly Kruempel, director of career services of the college, said.

In a recent press release, Kruempel said today’s job market is becoming increasingly competitive.

“It is important that we arm these students with every tool possible, including a professional image,” she said.

On Tuesday, students got a chance to practice their professional image when mock interviews were performed. Kruempel said almost 66 students showed up to participate in the practice interviews.

Many employee representatives from the organizations came early to help with the mock interviews, she said.

Jackie Sowell, a junior in apparel merchandising, design and production, participated in the mock interviews and said they give students good exposure.

“The mock interview was really interesting because you get feedback, and they tell you what you can do to improve your appearance and resume,” she said. “It’s very helpful because the people that they have there want to be there, and they want to help you.”

Sowell, who is also a Government of the Student Body FCS senator, interviewed with an Eddie Bauer representative. She said the mock interviews lasted about 20 minutes.

Internships will be most sought after by students attending Career Day. “A lot of students will be talking about the internships with the organizations, as well as full-time and part-time positions,” Kruempel said. “Internships are very popular because they give students experience and make them more employable.”

College of Family and Consumer Sciences Career Week appeals to a lot of students, Kruempel said, because it includes students who are majoring in social work, business and food science.