Celebrating an anniversary

In the past two years, Iowa State University has undergone many changes, some good and some bad.

We have renamed the football stadium, we have seen the leadership methods of two Government of the Student Body presidents and we have watched the future of Veishea be questioned.

Many changes have taken place on the campus and in the campus climate, but perhaps the biggest difference we have noticed has been in the area of student activism.

Two years ago today, an ISU student published an article in Uhuru, the publication of the Black Student Alliance, questioning the university for naming Old Botany Hall after Carrie Chapman Catt.

Because of that student’s question, The September 29th Movement was founded and the campus has never been the same.

Not since the rallies and protests of the ’60s and ’70s has ISU seen the dedication and determination of student activism like that of The September 29th Movement.

One thing can be said about the Movement, whether you agree with their views or not, the members of that organization have a lot of “chutzpah.”

Sure, you may think they are nothing more than radical, revolutionary, trouble-makers, but you cannot deny them their place in ISU history. They will be remembered in 100 years, whether we like it or not, as students who worked long and hard for a cause they believed in and were willing to fight for.

Anyone can criticize them for their opinion, but do not criticize them for having a voice and taking a stand.

They have done more for opening discussion on this campus than any other group in the past two years, and no one can deny them that.

The September 29th Movement represents many people and ideas.

We all must give these students credit for standing firm on what they believe in. Regardless of whether we agree with them or not.