Don’t speak for everyone

Timothy E. Sorensen

I am writing in response to Milton McGriff’s Sept. 4th article in the Daily.

First of all, they are implying that the issue of renaming Catt Hall is one of the most important issues facing ISU students today. They also use the article to attack President Jischke. Not a real good impression to leave with the freshmen whom the article supposedly targeted. There are a few points I would like to make regarding Mr. McGriff’s article. First of all, Jack Trice Stadium was finally renamed and this is a wonderful thing. You claim to be grateful yet still complain about it. Ever heard the phrase “better late than never?”

Also, on what basis do you say that having an African-American vice president of student affairs is “overdue?” Have you ever looked at the demographics of the university? What percentage of the student body is African-American? You live in Iowa, for goodness sakes. I have no doubt Mr. Hill’s qualifications are sound and I welcome him. But to claim that his appointment was overdue is claiming the university should deliberately appoint officials of any ethnic background if the students complain enough.

Finally, if there is enough student demand for an African-American Studies program, then so be it. However, such a program should not be implemented in the name of diversity because the purpose of college is to learn, not to make political statements. If you want to major in African-American Studies and ISU refuses to offer it (which would not surprise me since this is Iowa State University of SCIENCE and TECHNOLOGY), then go to a liberal arts school. I think supply should fit the demand.

Maybe you should do some research on the number of students who attend school in the state of Iowa in African-American Studies curricula and then ask which students would have come to ISU had there been a comparable program here. Mr. McGriff, I would like to close by saying that I respect what you are doing because you are genuinely concerned about your fellow students and your university. Thank you for improving our beloved handbook and challenging the administration.

Someone needs to question the bureaucracy we live and study under. Whether I disagree with you on the issues is irrelevant, but I wish you could refrain from bashing Martin Jischke. I think this is very unprofessional and you could make your arguments without being so personal.

Finally, please, do a little research or send out some surveys to your fellow ISU students to see where they stand before claiming that you speak for us all about what is important at ISU.

Timothy E. Sorensen

Junior

MIS