Soccer breaks even

Laurie Meythaler

The Iowa State women’s soccer team kicked off their season at home this weekend with a loss Friday to Southern California and a win Sunday to De Paul University.

Friday’s match marked the first-ever competition between the Cyclones and the USC Trojans. At 32 minutes, the first and only ISU goal was scored by sophomore Lindsey Rector, assisted by senior Jo Hinks and sophomore Jun Shen. USC scored at 34 minutes, leading to a 1-1 tied game at the end of the first half.

In the second half, the Trojans kicked the game into high gear scoring an additional four goals.

Sophomore Hayley Mercer played 72 minutes on goal, racking up five saves. The Trojans took 20 shots in the game to ISU’s six. The Cyclones, unable to match their opponent’s level of play, lost the season opener 1-5.

Mercer said that the team was “upset” with Friday’s loss and was capable of being more competitive but did not have their mental game at the necessary level.

The second game of the holiday weekend gave ISU another shot at a win, and they took it.

Sunday, the Cyclones bounced back from Friday’s loss with a 1-0 win over the De Paul Blue Demons. It was the second match ever played between the two teams and ended with the same score, only ISU came out on top.

Shen scored the lone goal off an assist from Hinks. The goal came early in the game, at the 18-minute mark. Mercer, at goalie, finished the game with five saves, totaling 10 during the first two games.

Mercer said, “I felt more confident Sunday; I felt better with the pace. Sunday’s game the team was passing better and supporting each other and the defense was more solid.”

Klein said the team could have been “more efficient” in Friday’s match, but they choose to focus on their strengths during the Sunday game.

“Sunday we regrouped and were more mentally prepared. We are strong in attacking, and as a team playing defense,” she said.

Klein said the team will continue to work on their mentality and intensity so they will be able to compete.

The Cyclones come off a 8-12 record last season, with a young team of 11 newcomers and only three seniors.

“We are taking things day by day and focus on our development rather than the opposition, ” Klein said.

“We’re starting six freshman, four sophomores and one senior. They will need to focus on their responsibilities and remain patient and positive.”

Klein cited Hinks, Rector and Barb Laverne as the three players who carried the team through the weekend. She said the trio played “very well.”

The Cyclones head to Colorado Springs, Colo., on Sept. 5 to play the Air Force Academy before travelling to Boulder to face the Colorado Buffaloes. The women will play their next home game Friday, Sept. 26, against Texas Tech.