Search your heart

Joshua Weems

Recently Allan Nosworthy, a rather prolific graduate student at Iowa State University, authored a portentous article pledging to deny himself of any food until this institution and President Jischke re-evaluate the issue of diversity on our campus.

To the misinformed, such a hunger strike may seem extreme and shortsighted, but, as many of the concerned students who have approached the administration and questioned its commitment to diversity, Mr. Nosworthy has grown impatient. Although the administration claims to be committed to diversity, it has stood idly by even as ISU’s minority student retention and enrollment numbers remained well below our established goals.

Jischke has dodged for 13 months a proposed meeting with the September 29th Movement, an organization comprised of conscientious students, faculty and community members who feel Carrie Chapman Catt Hall stands (intended or not) as a symbol of ISU’s regrettable refusal to fully separate itself from racism.

The university also continues to insist it cares about diversity regardless of an underfunded minority studies program.

After years of inconsistency and disparity, anyone with compassion for the underprivileged and a desire to improve ISU could become frustrated. Allan Nosworthy has been writing letters to the Daily, speaking at rallies and leading the charge against racism, sexism, classism, homophobia and xenophobia since I arrived at this campus.

He has done it for free, many times at great expense to himself because he believes in the cause and in ISU.

Finally, however, Allan and hundreds of other students, non-majority and otherwise, who value diversity and freedom have grown tired of the pain.

The weight of facing discriminating and elitist administration has left us hurt and dejected. Allan’s words and feelings are genuine, and they are admirable. Now the students and staff at ISU must search their hearts just as Alan Nosworthy searched his.

Jischke’s constant evasion of the issues and neglect of student voices has ultimately culminated into Allan, a bright, talented and sincere student, risking his health in a desperate attempt to open the president’s eyes, to open our eyes and hopefully to make ISU a better learning institution.

Do not allow this selfless act to end in vanity.

Allan, the students of ISU implore you to hang in there; we recognize your sacrifice and will not make you stand alone.

Joshua Weems

Sophomore

Pre-veterinary medicine