A Chinese perspective

Wenjun Gao

I went to Harry Wu’s lecture on Sept. 9. I think his past experience in China is basically true. I agree with Wu’s point that the political system of China needs changes. I cannot consent Wu’s appeal that American government should punish China by cutting off trade with China because the Chinese communist government benefits from the trade.

China has changed greatly since Chairman Mao died in 1976. Today how many Chinese people believe that two-thirds of the people in the world are living in misery and waiting for liberation? None. Twenty years ago, millions of Chinese people did. The changes happened by communication and contacts, especially with the western countries. If America and all the other countries cut off trade and business with China, one possible consequence would be that China retrogresses to the situation of Mao’s era: isolated. Another consequence may be the Chinese government collapsing economically (a consequence Wu wants to see). However, either of the consequences will cause the suffering of millions of ordinary Chinese people.

Being an American citizen now, Wu has a stable life, nice house and nice car. He said in his lecture that he cannot turn his back on the Chinese people who do not have the fortune to enjoy the freedom in America as he does. It is why he became a Chinese human rights activist.

I was one of the students who protested in the Tiananmen Square in the spring of 1989. The student leaders called the students to sacrifice for the democracy of China. We followed their calls, and some of my fellow students gave their lives for their dreams. What did most of the leaders do and where are they now? They left the students behind and ran away. They are now enjoying the freedom in America, too.

Wu and many other Chinese pro-democracy activists call the people to fight for the democracy, while they have become or try to become American citizens. It is a part of the reason they cannot gain much support from the Chinese people and the overseas Chinese students. I support democracy, but not at the price of the suffering and sacrifice of the ordinary people. My parents, brother, relatives and friends are now living in China. I do not want to see them suffer while I am enjoying the sunshine in America. I believe many of the Chinese students here have the same in mind.

Wenjun Gao

Graduate student

Sociology