Mountaineering and climbing club keeps member costs low, hopes high

Amanda Knief

Climbing up a crack in a wall of rock is probably not included in most people’s weekend plans. However, that is exactly what members of the ISU Mountaineering and Climbing Club do.

“Climbing gives people a chance to challenge themselves physically and mentally in a beautiful outdoor setting,” ISUMCC President Shawn Higbee, a sophomore in forestry who has been climbing for six years, said.

Last year ISUMCC had more than 50 members and was the second largest athletic club at ISU, Higbee said. No experience is required to join, he said, and the club is one of the cheapest athletic groups on campus with dues at $30 a year.

ISUMCC takes trips almost every weekend and has already been to Backbone State Park and Mississippi Palisades State Park in Illinois this semester.

Kelly O’Riley, a freshman in horticulture, said he joined ISUMCC because he has hiked before and “rock climbing sounded like fun.

“The club is friendly [to beginners] and well organized. You just go and do what you want to do,” he said.

ISUMCC has two main activities — mountaineering and rock climbing.

“Mountaineering is hiking back into a wilderness area and climbing a remote [mountain] peak from ground up and includes backpacking, camping and climbing,” Higbee said.

Rock climbing is shorter in length, there is easier access to the rock and climbing is all vertical, Higbee explained. It is more popular than mountaineering and more common in Iowa, he said.

“For rock climbing, no experience is needed, there is little equipment and it can be done in one weekend,” he said.

Members use club equipment free of charge, and everything except climbing shoes are provided. Higbee said special shoes are not necessary to climb — tennis shoes also work.

For nonmembers, the first trip they take with ISUMCC is free. After that, they must join in order to go on additional other outings. Costs of trips are split between the people going and cover transportation, camping and group leaders. Everyone is responsible for their own food. The leaders are responsible for the trip and go for free.

They are required to set all the ropes and teach all participants climbing techniques and safety.

“It is the most challenging sport around, plus you get to escape Ames and Iowa State. It’s more of an experience than just climbing,” Matt Peterson, ISUMCC secretary, said.

ISUMCC has trips planned this semester to Backbone State Park, Blue Mounds and Taylors Falls in Minnesota, and Wild Iowa, as well as trips during Thanksgiving Break.

Meetings are Monday nights in 1810 Gilman Hall at 8 p.m. and are open to everyone. The meetings include trip planning, seminars on buying equipment, climbing techniques and slide shows of other members’ trips.

Club members also receive a 10 percent discount from Ames Surplus for rock climbing equipment.

For more information, visit ISUMCC’s web page at http://www.scc.iastate.edu/mountaineering/home97.html or e-mail [email protected] to reach executive members of the club.