Learn to speak out Saturday at workshop

Sarah Leonard

Standing up for something you believe in can sometimes be a difficult task, especially in front of a group.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services is sponsoring a free workshop on public speaking to help students learn to do just that tomorrow in Room 225 of the Student Services Building.

Sine Anahita, LGBTSS coordinator, said she expects the event to be “very interactive and fun.”

She said there may even be a second workshop in January.

The workshop will focus on using public speaking as a tool for social change, specifically on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues.

Anahita said she “believes in the power of public speaking to change minds, whether it’s concerning Veishea, Catt Hall or gay and lesbian issues.”

Participants in Saturday’s workshop will learn ways to interrupt hostile speech biased against someone due to their race, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation or any other identity aspect.

The main purpose of the workshop is to train people to perform formal presentations, Anahita said.

She said it will also be helpful for students who want to learn how to voice their opinions in large forums, classes, rallies and even with friends and family.

There will be sections on basic tips of public speaking, how to facilitate group discussions, being an effective member of the panel, using humor to reach your audience and techniques to handle hostile audiences.

The workshop will also include a section on how to create and use multimedia presentations.

Anahita will head the group of speakers.

Other speakers include Houston Dougharty, associate dean of students, Dave Haden, alcohol education coordinator, and Kayt Sunwood, journalism department cybrarian.

The workshop will be held Saturday, Sept. 13, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. All students interested must pre-register. For more information call 294-5433 or [email protected].