There’s more to the movies

Eric S. Vymyslicky

I am writing in response to Benjamin Studenski’s editorial about film boards bringing unpopular and politically oriented movies to ISU.

The fact of the matter is, this is not a correct statement at all. There is more than one film board at ISU, and perhaps you should specify which one you care to criticize.

Let me start by defending the Student Union Board (SUB) which you mentioned briefly on your editorial. SUB Films bring us some very high-quality movies weekend after weekend.

Their selection is tailored to specialty films, classics and cult favorites.

Last year’s selection included movies such as the hilarious “Clerks,” awesome classics like “2001” and the modern-day revolution of the cinema, “Citizen Kane.”

The latter two are argued by most critics as the best films ever made.

SUB Films bring other films to ISU; this year’s slate will include movies from (get ready) “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” to “An American in Paris,” and one that I missed in the theaters but would like to see, “The Secreat of Roan Inish.”

The point is that SUB brings a wide variety of films to ISU, and if some of those just happen to make political statements, then so be it.

At least the movies have a purpose, something that you cannot say about most contemporary shoot-em-up blockbusters.

After all, as students in a university, it is to our advantage to open our minds to some of the opinions expressed by such movies.

However, if it is action and popular current movies that you crave, perhaps you should try out Free Friday Flicks.

As the name suggests, they are free, and they are on Fridays. Every weekend, Free Friday Flicks brings us the most popular movies of the year.

Last year they brought us movies like “Mission Impossible” and “Independence Day.” Just this month, we’ve already seen “Liar Liar” and have “The Fifth Element” to look forward to this Friday; later this month, “Con Air” and “Batman and Robin” will show.

And we, too, get a Warner Brothers cartoon before every show.

Every Friday hundreds of students pack into the auditoriums on first two floors of Carver Hall.

Occasionally there is a game of hangman put on by a couple morons. More often, copies of the Daily are folded up into crude paper airplanes and flung around the room.

And then we get our cartoon. And then we get our movie, and everyone is happy. Most importantly, you don’t have to worry about having political or religious views flung your way if you’re not prepared for them.

The only drawback is there are never enough seats.

Eric S. Vymyslicky

Freshman

Veterinary medicine