Veishea hot topic for IRHA

Emily Graham

President Martin Jischke told students living in the residence halls that he cannot condone an activity such as Veishea where students are put in danger.

More than 50 students spoke about Veishea at the first Inter-Residence Hall Association meeting held Thursday.

Students brought up the concern of off-campus alcohol use and students over the age of 21 drinking alcohol.

“I am not responsible for what goes on off of the campus and I am not sure how we will handle of-age drinkers. I hope they will set the example for others,” Jischke said. “We have to fix our own house before we worry about everything else,” he added.

Jay McLaren, IRHA president, said the people who are determined to drink Veishea weekend will go off campus or elsewhere to drink.

There is nothing “set in stone” at this point if students are going to take the pledge to have an alcohol-free Veishea, McLaren said.

“It’s hard to say right now if students will take the pledge,” McLaren said. “I’ve heard positive and negative feedback.”

In addition, McLaren said he hopes students will back Jischke’s pledge to create a safer environment for Veishea.

McLaren said he plans to talk with the three residence associations, student security and student leaders, but he said the decision ultimately will be up to the students.

He said he will pass out surveys on the issue to association presidents, so they can hand them out to all students in the residence halls.

“At this point I want the students to be able to listen to what President Jischke has to say, especially at the open forum meeting Sept. 22,” he said.

Jischke said this was the most difficult issue facing the school right now.

The riots of 1992 and 1994 and the death last year serve as a “wake- up call” to the university.

“Last year 560 people under the age of 21 were arrested for intoxication. Most of them were not from the university. Veishea is first and foremost a student activity. We need to change the perception of Veishea so less outsiders will want to attend,” Jischke said.

“Right now Veishea is a drunken brawl that attracts high school students and other college students from around the area,” he said.

Jischke suggested many ideas for keeping Veishea dry.

First he would like to move the location of “Taste of Veishea,” provide alternate entertainment at night for ISU students and one friend, eliminate the carnival, and stop the Veishea celebration on Saturday morning after the parade.

“The carnival does not attract many college-aged students so why have it,” Jischke said.

There will be an open forum to discuss the Veishea issue on Sept. 22. No specific time or place has yet been announced by officials.