Diversity classes now required at Iowa State

Sarah Leonard

Many new students at Iowa State this fall are already well aware of the university’s newest program, the U.S. Diversity & International Perspective Requirements.

But other ISU students may not be as informed on the new requirements.

In response to a national trend, ISU has implemented the program for the first time this year.

The focus of the program is to provide students with insights that enhance their understanding of diversity among people.

Another goal of the program is to enhance students’ understanding of cultural diversity on a global scale.

Maureen Deisinger, academic adviser of the Department of Journalism, said the department “has been requiring journalism students to complete 6 credits of diversity courses since 1991.” Such courses include International Journalism and International Media.

Students must fill the requirements from the U.S. Diversity and the International Perspectives course areas.

New students must complete three credits of course work (or the equivalent) from each of these two areas.

Deisigner said the program is not designed to add more required credits, instead the classes should be embedded in the curriculum.

For example, instead of taking American History, the university would rather a student would choose Black History or instead of Art History, a student could choose North American Art History.

Another way for students to fulfill the diversity requirements is by participating in the Study Abroad Program.

Bonnie Rega, associate professor of the Department of Journalism, along with Kaaren Madsen, temporary instructor of the Department of Journalism, co-led a workshop for freshmen that dealt with multi-cultural issues in the media for the first time last summer.

The workshop was funded by two generous ISU alumni who “feel strongly about promoting this issue,” Rega said.

Various ethnic speakers and professors spoke with students about the problems they’ve run into while working in the media.

Rega said these same 21 students who attended the workshop continue to meet on their own time, and will hopefully become ambassadors and leaders for multi-cultural issues at ISU.

Rafael Rodriguez, director of Minority Student Affairs, promotes the diversity requirements.

He said it would be an improvement if faculty would incorporate diversity courses in their programs, rather than labeling them as a requirement.

“We live in a multi-cultural, diverse world, we need courses that address diversity,” Rodriguez said.

He said to have a complete education these courses are “another tool to understand diversity outside academia.”