The Veishea solution

Andrew Seitz

Veishea — a word that strikes fear into the hearts of many. The question is, why? Veishea’s reputation is of this huge party full of drinking and violence —not a celebration of Iowa State, as it was originally intended.

President Jischke wants to change this, but his solution may not be what he wants it to be.

A dry campus for Veishea is a good idea, just like the pocket fisherman or spray-on hair.

There are many problems festering beneath this idea.

One of the flaws is the limited scope of Jischke’s plan.

Threats and ultimatums may work on junior high kids, but one thing I’ve learned is that college students do not take kindly to any form of repression. Look at what happened last year involving the September 29th Movement.

This may grow into something Jischke cannot control either.

President Jischke only has control over what occurs on campus.

The majority of the alcohol consumption that takes place during Veishea does not occur on campus.

Yes, the greeks have their parties, but most parties are held off campus at houses throughout Campustown.

One of the largest parties I saw last year took place right across from Knapp Hall — just a few feet out of ISU’s control.

Once people are drunk and decide they have had enough for the night, they head back to the residence halls.

On-campus control can still be used effectively during Veishea to enforce existing laws.

If a student is underage and drinking in the residence halls, action can be taken against them.

If there is stronger enforcement of these policies all year, the problems at Veishea may be affected as well. Enforcing it only one weekend a year is not going to solve anything.

The main cause of the problems over the last few years has been people from outside the ISU community.

Out-of-towners come to party with their friends.

If Randy Alexander wants to find a fire hazard, 15 people crowded into a dorm room would definitely qualify.

Set a policy limiting the number of people staying in one room for a weekend. Actually, I think that there already is one.

If that policy is already in the books, why don’t we enforce it? These people don’t care if Veishea is canceled. It is only a big party for them.

Another problem I noticed last year during Veishea was there are few university-sponsored activities after 6 p.m. Rock da Rec only kept people occupied for a short time.

The free bands at Taste of Veishea play at Peoples every month, so it wasn’t that big of a deal.

There was nothing to really do at night. Everything that took place on campus happened at the same time, with most of them ending between 4 and 6 p.m. What are the ISU students supposed to do? Sit on our collective thumbs?

Anyone can point a finger and blame this person or that group. I, on the other hand, have at least one suggestion.

Every year Creighton University in Omaha has their Spring Fling. They have least one nationally known band preform.

Last year, they had George Clinton and P-Funk, and other years have included Sheryl Crow and Big Head Todd and the Monsters.

Why don’t we do something like this? KURE is interested in doing a festival-style concert, and the M-Shop has connections.

Why not invest some money into a new tradition for Veishea?

Have some local bands play and build up to something big later Saturday night.

Set up a stage with lights and everything in front of Curtiss — a pipe dream I’m sure.

Still, this university has the resources to pull something like that off, if they set our minds to it.

We need to bring in swarms of people to have fun and listen to some great music, instead of having people get drunk before dead week.

No one has all the answers concerning Veishea.

Various committees need to get their act together and find out what the students want.

Ultimatums will get nothing accomplished, but communication will. The students and administration need to reach a compromise that will please all involved.

One “dry” weekend is not going to solve any problems; the idea has already caused a few. Killing a 75-year tradition will cause more than enough problems, too.

Jischke needs to look at all the problems, not just the obvious one.

Andrew Seitz is junior in drawing, painting and printmaking from Dyersville.