Asian-American Cultural Center to open

Marty Forth

What began as an idea in January will see completion this October with the opening of the Iowa State Asian- American Cultural Center (AACC).

The center, located in 1501 Helser Hall, will serve as a place for both learning and leisure, Grif Kolberg, vice president of the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition (APAAC), said.

A main purpose of the AACC will be to educate the student population on the intricacies and diversity of the Asian culture, he said.

Students can visit the AACC to relax with newspapers and journals or to study and use the office’s public computer.

The office will also provide options for leisure to students, with various movie nights and social gatherings.

This will give the Asian Pacific population more social choices.

Vang Lee and Theresa Thomas started the ball rolling for the center in January by submitting the application for review by the MSA.

“These two individuals deserve to be recognized for all their hard work,” Kolberg said.

APAAC is an organization that works with MSA to represent the cultural, academic and social aspects of student life for Asian-American students on ISU’s campus.

APPAC had a strong voice in helping facilitate the creation of the AACC.

In the past, there has been no location or specific office area in which Asian students could gather or relax with their peers and friends.

Also, there has not been a place in the past where the general student population could come to ask questions about the various Asian countries and cultures, do research and listen to other people’s opinions.

“It is a good opportunity for discussion and to learn about another culture,” Kolberg said of the AACC.

The AACC is intended to serve all ISU students as an office where students can research Asian culture as it is seen by America and other Asian countries.

For students who are interested in visiting or working in Asian countries, the AACC will have information on various services and opportunities available to ISU students.

The AACC is scheduled to celebrate its official ribbon cutting Oct. 6 at 5:30 p.m.

“It is our hope that as many students as possible are able to make use of the center,” Kolberg said. “This is a new step in the relations and services offered to the Asian- American population at Iowa State University,” he said.

The AACC also caters specifically to international students from Asian Pacific countries studying in America, and to Americans who are of Asian Pacific descent.

Invited to the AACC’s official opening are President Martin Jischke and Interim Vice President Dan Robinson.