Be your own critic

Timothy A. Jennings

In response to Benjamin Studenski’s editorial regarding the film programs on this campus (9/10/97), the Student Union Board would like to offer an opposing viewpoint. Mr. Studenski mentions that Michigan Technological University shows recent, popular Hollywood blockbuster films for only two dollars.

However, he fails to mention that an organization on the Iowa State campus, Free Friday Flicks, offers the same kinds of films for free.

As he states in his editorial, a good time is had by all the students who choose to attend. Unfortunately, he does not realize that there are many people at Iowa State who choose not to attend because they are searching for something deeper than explosions and ultraviolence in their films. It is for these people that the SUB films are intended.

SUB films has traditionally offered lesser-known, classic, foreign and independent films and documentaries in order to promote an increased awareness about the world and the artistry of film.

Mr. Studenski has taken issue with several of our previous film selections, including “The Last Temptation of Christ” and”Ten Days that Shook the World” (or “October”).

Although “The Last Temptation of Christ” was a financial flop in its initial release (as was “It’s a Wonderful Life”), it is a thought provoking film that caused our audience to examine their beliefs; it also earned an Academy Award nomination for its director, Martin Scorsese.

Additionally, he alludes to some hidden political agenda in our schedule, proven by our selection of “October” for this semester’s schedule. Nothing could be further from the truth. This film gives glimpses of history and culture and is directed by Sergei Eienstein, one of the most studied and respected directors of all time. Granted, it was commissioned by the government of the USSR to commemorate the Russian Revolution of 1917, so it naturally paints the event in a positive light. However, since it is the eightieth anniversary of one of the most significant events of this century, we felt that a film that illustrates an alternative viewpoint of this would be appropriate for this semester.

In the end, everyone should be their own critic and judge works according to their own personal beliefs. There are very few places where a silent Russian film, “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” and “Vertigo” would be shown within four months of each other. Take the opportunity to enjoy something different this semester and support SUB Films.

Timothy A. Jennings

Director

SUB films

Senior

Chemical engineering