Man of many titles

Julie Maxwell

Derrick Rollins is a man of many titles.

He is an associate professor in chemical engineering and statistics, the diversity adviser to President Jischke’s Cabinet — and he’s also a basketball, baseball and track coach.

The role for which he is probably best known on campus is that of diversity adviser to the president.

Rollins said he has one main goal in mind when performing the duty.

“I would like to see retention increase in general, but since under-represented ethnic American students’ retentions are so low I would like to see a significant increase in that,” Rollins said.

Rollins added that he also would like to see under-represented ethnic students succeed as top university scholars.

As an associate professor, Rollins said his major goals are to develop some nontraditional areas of research.

In the chemical engineering department, Rollins said he also would like to see a greater success rate among under-represented ethnic American students.

Setting high standards and helping students to reach those standards are things Rollins wants to achieve through his teaching, he said.

But when he leaves the university each night, Rollins does not just go home and relax.

When he has the free time, his main hobby is coaching.

Last year he coached a variety of sports — including seventh-grade boys’ basketball, boys’ baseball for 13-year-olds, Junior Olympics track, girls’ fifth-grade basketball and 12-and-under girls’ softball.

His extracurricular activities also extend to the Christian church, where he teaches Sunday school classes.