Drug use increasing at ISU

Sarah Leonard

Alcohol remains the number one substance abused on campus, though Iowa State officials say marijuana and methamphetamine are not far behind.

On Sept. 9, two international students were arrested for drug use at Buchanan Hall.

Jeans Christophre Pierre and Gregoire Ceroux, both of 2708 Buchanan Hall, were arrested for possession of marijuana.

A Department of Public Safety official said an off-duty student officer was walking by the north side of Buchanan Hall when he smelled marijuana.

He walked over to the two students and asked them what they were smoking.

According to DPS reports, the students admitted they were smoking marijuana.

The officer called in the report and stayed at the scene until a DPS officer arrived and took the two students into custody.

DPS publishes an annual report of campus crimes reported to DPS each year.

Statistics show that liquor law violations, which include operating while intoxicated and public intoxication offenses, and drug abuse violations on campus have risen dramatically in the past three years.

In 1994 there were 67 liquor law violations reported, in 1995 the violations rose to 225, and last year DPS reported 525 liquor law violations.

Drug abuse violations have increased from six in 1994, to 21 reported in 1995, to 84 offenses reported last year.

Although the use of drugs on campus does not receive as much attention as alcohol abuse, marijuana, mushrooms, LSD and methamphetamines are becoming more popular with ISU students, officials say.

“Drugs of choice by ISU students are marijuana, mushrooms and LSD. The use of crack or cocaine has risen in the last 10 years but is still very little in comparison to the other three, which have seen a prevalent rise in the last two to three years,” Randy Kessel, Ames police officer, said.

“Methamphetamines are on the increase throughout the whole county by both students and the working public. The drug, coming from blue-collar type workers, is working its way into the schools,” he said.

Darren Heidgeerken, Inter-Residence Hall Association vice president of conferences, said, “[Drug use in residence halls] is not a very common thing, but it does happen from time to time.”

Wade Burkin, student security program coordinator, said drug busts in the residence halls are “uncommon at ISU.”

“Yet drugs are present in halls, no doubt about it. It would be naive to think they aren’t,” he said.

Possession of a controlled substance is a serious misdemeanor, with a penalty of a fine and/or jail time. Burkin said students who are caught with drugs in the residence halls are dealt with by the Dean of Students Office. He said the students are usually removed from the halls.

Officials said the drug problem off campus, however, is greater than it is on campus.

“There is a higher percentage of students off campus using drugs than in the residence halls due to the supervision in the halls,” Kessel said.

Simple possession is the most common offense, Kessel said. The police also find drugs and paraphernalia on search warrants when inventory is taken of the arrested individual’s property.

Officials said students who believe they have a drug or alcohol abuse problem can seek help from Mary Greeley Medical Center.

Michael Machinski, a counselor at MGMC, said of the 535 total patients at the center in 1994-95, 48 of them were ISU students.

The numbers have continued to increase in the past few years, he said.

Alcohol is the number one reason for students seeking treatment, Machinski said. Marijuana is second and methamphetamines are third.

Machinski said 22.3 percent of patients are between the ages of 21 and 24.

The center offers three programs for evaluation and treatment of patients.

Group therapy meets twice a week for four hours each over an eight-week period.

Machinski said all students are welcome at the therapy sessions. Anyone interested should call for enrollment information.