Only Deals offers the best deals for students’ money

Emily Graham

No one wants to be like their mother, cutting coupons, comparison shopping and shopping at discount stores for everyday items, but students know it will eventually happen.

Many college students are often faced with only a limited amount of cash, which leaves them no other choice but to comparison shop.

Only Deals, 3700 W. Lincoln Way, has almost anything students need, and most items cost a mere a dollar.

Their shelves are stocked with everything from throw pillows to toothpaste to school supplies, and all seem reasonably priced and easy to find.

However, all students have their own ways of saving money.

Trevor Duncan, a junior in sociology, recommends buying pop from Hy-Vee Food Store, 3800 Lincoln Way, and Sam’s Club, 305 Airport Road, instead of Pepsi or Coke products.

He also said he cuts back when going out to eat.

“Instead of buying a foot-long sub, I only buy half of a foot,” Duncan said.

Others said a budget is their best bet for pinching pennies.

“I allow myself only so much money a month, the rest I make myself put in savings,” Jocelyn Alexander, a freshman in electronic media studies, said.

School Supplies

Five-subject notebooks are just $1 at Only Deals as compared to Wal-Mart, 3015 Grand Ave., where they are $1.50.

Three hundred sheets of loose leaf paper is also $1.

But at Wal-Mart, a 12-pack of pencils is 25 cents cheaper than a 10-pack of pencils at Only Deals.

Household Items

Dishes bought at Only Deals come as separates, which are nice for students who don’t have the room to store sets of eight plates, bowls and cups.

The cost of the dishes range anywhere from 39 cents to $1 each. Single plates bought at Wal-Mart usually cost about $2.

Plastic containers come in packs of one, two or 52.

The single and double packages range in price from $1 to $1.50 at Only Deals. The package of 52 could be split with a friend or roommate so each person would only spend $8 for 13 containers.

At Wal-Mart, a 16-piece plastic-container set is $10.

For those who would rather not wash dishes or buy dish soap, paper plates are 75 cents to $1. Paper plates at Wal-Mart are $1.97.

Laundry baskets and small baskets used to keep dorm rooms organized are also $1 at Only Deals.

For $2.99, students with clothes to hang can get 30 hangers.

Toiletries

Soap at Only Deals is just 50 cents. At Wal-Mart, soap is only a few cents more. Toothpaste (Crest) and mouthwash are only $1. Wal-Mart carries the same products but they charge close to $2.

Shampoo and hairspray are fairly inexpensive as well, with brand names such as Salon Selectives and Finesse ranging in price from 89 cents to $1.69.

Hairspray and lotion both run in the same price range.

Aspirin can run anywhere from $3 to $5 in any location.

Food

Only Deals carries food at comparative prices. Ramen Noodles are 22 cents as compared to 59 cents at Hy-Vee.

Only Deals offers Campbell’s soup 20 cents cheaper than Hy-Vee.

Chips, though they may not be the brands students are used to, are priced at $1 at Only Deals, with Hy-Vee offering chips on sale, two for $4.

Only Deals has popcorn at six bags for just $1.74, while Cub Foods, 3121 Grand Ave., and Hy-Vee charge as much as $3 or $4 for the same amount.

Pop can be found on sale almost every week. It is usually wise to check around to both grocery and discount stores such as Target and Wal-Mart.