Reading is more than fundamental

Emily Graham

Jeff Chinnock, a senior in chemical engineering, lies on the library floor listening to a younger student read to him — but this isn’t the Parks Library floor, and the student is only in third grade.

Chinnock spends a little time at Crawford Elementary School every week listening to different students read to him as part of a year-long philanthropy project by Delta Tau Delta.

The project is not unique to the Iowa State chapter of Delta Tau Delta.

They are part of a national philanthropy project for their chapter called Adopt-A-School.

Long-term philanthropy projects are not new to Delta Tau Delta.

“We have been doing it ever since I got here, and I’m sure it was around long before I was here,” Chinnock said.

David Strauss, a sophomore in civil engineering, said the philanthropy project is a good way to let the community know the greek system is not all bad.

At Crawford they help the students with reading and math.

Third-grade teacher Marilyn Gibbons said it has been a big help to her.

“They listen to the kids read and listen for the different little mistakes they tend to make,” Gibbons said. “I could only get to maybe five kids a week, but with them every student gets the individual attention they need and deserve.”

Gibbons said Delta Tau Delta serves as a wonderful model for the younger children.

“It is an important time for both the children and the Tau Delts. They both are building relationships. The students get to see college students doing things for the community, and the Tau Delts get the satisfaction of knowing they are helping someone and contributing to society,” Gibbons said.

Luke Naughton, a senior in constructional engineering, said he enjoys helping the kids because it is a good time and a lot more fun than all the other stuff he does all day.

“Everyone at Crawford appreciates us, and we appreciate them for letting us help out,” Naughton said.

Students also said they enjoy having Delta Tau Delta’s help.

Third-grader Elizabeth Warth said Delta Tau Delta members help her when she is having problems writing her stories and help her learn more.

Another third-grader, Kendra Crooks, said she enjoys reading different books to the guys.

“What is great about the project is that even though it is not a requirement, we are still getting great participation from the guys. The only time we have some problems filling spots are the 8 and 9 a.m. time slots,” Strauss said.

Right now about 20 members are participating at least once a week.

“It’s a good feeling to see the students get excited each time you come. When you hear the kids read to you at the beginning of the year and when you here them at the end of the year and they have improved, you know that you are part of that improvement, and it is a great feeling,” Strauss said.