Black Student Alliance plans to get groove on tomorrow night

Holly Benton and Arianna Layton

The Black Student Alliance, a student support group targeted toward minorities, is starting the year out with a number of activities, including a party today.

The party, co-sponsored by the National Panhellenic Council, will be held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union at 10 p.m. Admission is $3 for students without a black card and $1 for students who have a card. The card is given to people who have attended a certain number of BSA meetings and activities.

BSA is also planning a free Labor Day barbecue at the Black Cultural Center at 1 p.m. on Monday.

They are also hosting the Black Fest Tuesday in the Great Hall at 8 p.m., which BSA President Meron Wondwosen described as a “clubfest for organizations that represent African American students and other support systems.”

“The Black Student Alliance always represents the interests and needs of students of African descent and those who are their allies,” Wondwosen said.

In an effort to do so, she said, they participate in social, political and educational activities.

“As always, we support the renaming of Catt Hall, additional funding for the African American Studies program and other minority studies programs, and the recruitment and retention of other non-majority groups on campus,” Wondwosen said.

Jay Berry, adjunct assistant professor of English and African American studies and BSA adviser, said BSA takes part in a number of activities throughout the year that both celebrate and educate the public about the rich history of black culture.

“Always, in the fall, there is the Black History Month celebrations and activities,” Berry said.

Last year, these festivities included producing a television program and holding Friday after-class discussions every few weeks.

BSA also sponsors the Harambee celebration, held the same weekend as Veishea, which Berry said is “a celebration of African American culture.”

Spring also brings the Big 12 Conference on Black Student Government, which the BSA is instrumental in the planning of.

The conference is hosted by a different school every year, with collegiate African-American leaders from all over the country coming together.

Last year, Iowa State hosted the conference.

On top of conferences and celebrations, the group participates in a number of community services and outreach projects.

“It offers a forum to discuss issues affecting African-American culture,” Berry said.

Berry said BSA acts as a type of “clearinghouse” where other organizations affecting black students can inform each other of their actions.

Berry said BSA is also hoping to begin mentoring and tutoring programs for undergraduate students this year.

All African-American students are automatically members of the group, which holds general assembly meetings every Monday at 8 p.m., except on Labor Day.

Berry said posters will be placed around campus announcing the date and location of the first meeting.

Berry said that in an effort to get incoming freshmen involved in the group BSA will also have a “Freshman Outreach” person this year.

Wondwosen said two positions were created specifically for recruiting freshmen.

“We have two excellent Freshmen Directors,” she said, who recruit active members and help freshmen with questions about adjusting to life on campus.

“If people are interested in making positive changes for students of African-American and non-majority decent, I would invite them to get involved with BSA,” Wondwosen said.

All of the cabinet members in the group hold office hours throughout the week at the BSA office, located in the Memorial Union.

Interested people can contact them at 294-9891.