Record-breaking year for ISU’s private fund-raising efforts

Jonquil Wegmann

For the first time in Iowa State University’s history, the university received more than $100 million in private funds during a fiscal year.

With the help of the ISU Foundation, a branch of the university responsible for securing and managing private gift support for ISU, the university attracted nearly $290 million in total external funding.

“Our success this past fiscal year comes from the synergy created between Iowa State’s loyal alumni and friends working with the ISU Foundation to support the university’s strategic plan,” said Tom Mitchell, ISU Foundation president.

External fund raising allows the university to strengthen academic programs, provide student financial support and faculty research positions and to build and maintain university facilities.

“Overall, this has been an absolutely sensational year at Iowa State in terms of external funding,” ISU President Martin Jischke said in a press release.

Many projects have been strengthened because of the record-breaking fund raising, university officials said.

John Dasher, the incoming chair of the ISU Foundation Board of Directors, said the projects include the new engineering and teaching research complex on the west end of campus, the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship and the Presidential Scholarship Campaign, which helped ISU attract 154 National Merit Scholars.

“The ISU Foundation helps to position Iowa State one step closer to being the premier land grant university in the nation,” said Brian Kish, assistant director of annual giving at the Foundation.

Kish said the ISU Foundation is striving to continue their fund-raising success of the past year.

Dalene Abner, director of public relations for the ISU Foundation, said they have identified several campaign projects that will receive priority in the coming year.

Abner said these projects include an addition to the College of Design and the renovation of Gilman Hall and Snedecor Hall.

Abner said the ISU Foundation is always seeking input from students. Students can get involved through the Student Alumni Association Foundation Committee as student ambassadors.

Kish said the majority of student involvement comes in through the ISU Calling Center, an outreach of the ISU Foundation that employs students as fund-raisers.

Students contact 90,000 alumni each year.