Veishea ends?

Kathryn Whitaker

To the editor:

Dear fellow students: Imagine picking up the newspaper and reading this headline: “IOWA STATE’S VEISHEA CELEBRATION ENDS FOREVER”.

The possibility of us being confronted with this news is very real.

Veishea, ISU’s 75-year-old tradition, is under intense scrutiny in the aftermath of a murder during the 1997 celebration. Uri Sellers, 19, was fatally stabbed outside a Welch Ave. fraternity house during Veishea weekend. The death of this young man, who was known by many of us at ISU, is forever connected to Veishea.

The murder of Uri Sellers was the latest in a string of events that has damaged the image of Veishea. In 1988 and 1992, Ames’ campustown area was the site of rioting during Veishea weekend. In 1994, disturbances at off-campus parties spoiled an otherwise positive Veishea weekend. These incidents resulted in hundreds of arrests of students and non-students, injuries and thousands of dollars in property damage. Alcohol abuse and underage drinking were cited as the roots of Veishea’s problems.

The future of Veishea is still unclear at this point. What is clear, however, is that the only way Veishea will continue is with dramatic change and action by us, the student body.

Veishea could be declared a totally alcohol-free weekend. Veishea 1998 could be cancelled to provide more time to study the future of ISU’s tradition. Veishea could end forever.

Ultimately, the decision about Veishea will be made by President Martin Jischke. During the summer, the president met with many people, including student leadership representing Veishea, Government of the Student Body, the greek community and residence halls. He has also received many opinions about Veishea from university, community and state leaders as well as alumni.

Many people feel Veishea should end. Many people want the tradition to continue, but stress the need to get the use of alcohol during Veishea weekend under control.

if Veishea continues, we, as students, will be responsible for implementing the drastic changes that will be expected. The only way Veishea can survive is by all of us understanding and accepting whatever decision is handed down by President Jischke — a decision that has been formed with input from many sources, including ISU students. Whatever the decision, there will be a strong expectation that we will all play a role in making it work.

Veishea is the largest student-run organization in the country. No other university has anything like it. It has thrived for 75 years because of the support, care and dedication by us, ISU’s student body.

Whatever shape it takes, Veishea needs our support, care and dedication now more than ever. Without it, Veishea will end forever.

Kathryn Whitaker

Veishea 1998 co-chair

Ben Dohrmann

Veishea 1998 co-chair

Rob Weise

GSB president

Matt McLaren

GSB vice president

Jay McLaren

Inter-Residence Hall Association president

Mark Holm

Inter-Fraternity Council president

Sonya Rice

Panhellenic Council president