Veishea’s dry or does not fly

Tara Deering

Either eliminate excessive alcohol from campus or Veishea will be canceled, announced Iowa State President Martin Jischke Wednesday night to students at the Government of the Student Body meeting.

“Either we eliminate the illegal misbehavior and alcohol, or Veishea cannot continue,” Jischke said.

This decision to place the future of Veishea “primarily on the shoulders of the students,” has been long awaited.

More than 100 students and faculty gathered at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union for Jischke’s announcement.

Jischke said students will have four to six weeks to make their decision and pledge to make Veishea alcohol-free.

The riots of 1988, 1992 and 1994 and the recent stabbing death of Uri Sellers during Veishea 1997 constitutes “a wake-up call that must be answered,” Jischke said.

Earlier this summer, Jischke met with students and faculty for suggestions about Veishea’s future.

The Veishea Advisory Committee discussed changes for the annual student-run organization and suggested several steps to help control the alcohol abuse and the problems which stem from it during Veishea.

According to the committee’s report, many people view Veishea as one big party instead of a showcase of ISU. Elimination of Veishea was discussed as an easy solution to the problems.

Jischke said if students do not take responsibility and work to fulfill the pledge to make Veishea an alcohol-free celebration, Veishea will come to an end.

The issue of Veishea attracting people from out-of-town was also addressed. Jischke said almost every other year the image of ISU has been tarnished by incidents largely the result of non-ISU students.

“This annual event attracts large numbers of people, including many high school students who also are prospective students of this university,” Jischke said.

“Unfortunately, it also attracts many persons who come to Ames solely for the partying associated with Veishea. This partying — with its excessive use of alcohol — has grown to the point that it has become unmanageable and extremely dangerous,” he said.

In looking for solutions to the problems that plague the Veishea celebration, Jischke said he looked at other universities whose major celebrations had come to an end.

He said the reason why the celebrations came to an end was “because the students did not take responsibilities for their activities.”

Student organizations that are critical in deciding the future of Veishea are GSB, the Inter-Fraternity Council and the Inter-Residence Hall Association. Jischke said he also plans to meet with Ames city officials to get their suggestions.

Jischke said he is willing to continue Veishea if the students are willing to work with him and other organizations to make it an alcohol-free celebration.

Ben Dohrmann, Veishea co-chair, asked Jischke what greek houses could do to decrease the amount of alcohol consumption.

Jischke suggested for the Veishea Committee to have more activities on campus during the celebration so people won’t go off campus to party.

If students choose to take the pledge to make Veishea alcohol-free, Jischke said the university will support their decision by providing additional security and bringing more entertainment to Ames that weekend.

“There is no question that saving Veishea will be more difficult than ending it,” Jischke said.

He said he hopes students choose the more difficult path. “In doing so you will send a very strong message about this generation of students at Iowa State,” Jischke said.

Not everyone at the GSB meeting agreed with Jischke.

David Edsall, a graduate in physics, said he didn’t like Jischke putting the responsibility on the students. Edsall accused Jischke of making the same speech in 1992.

“Last year it was a death. Is it going to take 10 deaths or 15 deaths before you cancel this thing?” Edsall said. “I think what you need to do is not be a coward and cancel this thing for two years.”

Jischke said a moratorium was discussed, but he didn’t think it would work because it would be admitting defeat. “I worry that no matter what the decision is … if that’s not a decision that the students embrace, it will be very difficult to implement.”

“I think this is a challenge for students,” Jischke said. “I am optimistic that you [the students] can get it done.”

There will be an open forum Sept. 22 with Jischke for any students or faculty concerned about the next phase for Veishea.