Surfing the web for financial aid

Kate Kompas

Now students can not only surf the net to find information about their college, but they can also find out how to pay for it.

Sallie Mae, with the slogan “Helping make education possible,” was chartered by Congress in 1972 as a for-profit corporation to provide educational funding.

Financial Aid 101, Sallie Mae’s multimedia website on affording college, may be just what confused students need.

The website used by students who don’t have the time nor the patience to track down the right financial aid official to ask an important questions. It also used by banks for student loans.

The award-winning website, which also boasts information on career choices and education decisions, is located in the college Answer Online section of the website. In Answer Online students can log on to find important information about funding their education.

According to Jane Trevisan, vice president of Sallie Mae, the features of the newly enhanced website are geared directly to college students and others involved in the process in a press release. “Financial Aid 101 is one of the newest features designed to make the often complex subject of paying for college easier to understand,” she stated in a press release.

Financial Aid 101 answers several often-asked, crucial questions regarding financial aid, including what the various types of financial aid are, how to apply for financial aid, and what happens after students apply for aid. The website also addresses questions about student loans and grants.

Financial aid, as defined by Sallie Mae, is money that is given, lent, or paid so a prospective student can pay for his education.

Sallie Mae said the first step in seeking financial aid is for students to pick up a copy of FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, which requires personal information about the student and their family’s annual income.

The FAFSA form must be filled out to qualify for any sort of financial aid. The earliest most FAFSA forms may be submitted is Jan. 1.

According to the press release the website also answers questions about what happens if a student needs more financial aid than is offered or if a student or his family make too much a year to acquire financial aid. Questions addressed on the website include everything from what is the difference between a loan and a grant to whether a student has to be admitted to a college to obtain financial help.

The website features a glossary to help users figure out some of the formalities they will have to deal with.