ISU brings Bardal and Rancik together again

Jayadev S. Athreya

The Cyclone basketball team has rebuilding on its mind after losing a substantial part of the 1996-97 Sweet Sixteen team, and it appears to be headed in the right direction.

The team lost all five starters to graduation, as well as an assistant coach, but has moved toward success by signing top high school prospect Martin Rancik and hiring his St. Louis Park, Minn., high school coach Tom Bardal as an assistant coach.

Iowa State Head Coach Tim Floyd gave Bardal high praise. “I’ve never hired a coach who I didn’t think could be a Division I head coach.”

Bardal, the youngest coach on the Cyclones’ staff, admitted to having aspirations of being a Division I head coach.

“Of course (I have aspirations) like everybody else. Everyone wants to work up the ladder and eventually head their own program,” he said.

Bardal graduated from Mankato State University with a bachelor’s degree in physical education in 1990.

He previously attended Normandale Community College where he played basketball for two seasons.

Bardal said he is “very honored” to be joining a staff that is rated as one of the best in the nation. “It’s a great opportunity for any coach to get to work with Coach Floyd,” he said.

“To be 31 years old and to join an elite program like Iowa State is a great honor, and its really nice to see Martin continue his career with me,” Bardal said.

Rancik also said he was pleased to be reunited with his high school coach.

“As much as he has helped me develop, I am very glad he is my coach,” he said.

“He helped me a lot [in high school]; I went to his house a few times. He’s a very good coach, but he is tough,” Rancik said.

Despite the fact that Rancik speaks highly of his former, now future, coach, “[Coming to ISU] was totally my choice,” he said.

On the Bardal and Rancik connection, Floyd remarked that having Rancik feel at home was an “important part of the selection, and an added bonus.”

“It’ll help Martin’s transition from high school,” Floyd said. “Martin (who is from Slovakia) had no family in high school, so Bardal was both a coach and a friend.”

Floyd said Bardal’s appreciation for defense, fresh ideas and ability to make new contacts were the reasons he felt Bardal was right for the position.

Bardal was selected in front of two Ames natives, ISU legend Gary Thompson and Dr. Bob Gitchell.

He was modest about being selected over Thompson.

“I want to learn as much as I can from all the coaches and Gary, too. Gary is a great guy,” he said.

Although youth has led to problems for some coaches, Bardal does not appear worried.

In fact, he thinks it will be more of an advantage.

“To get respect (from the players), I’ll have to earn it, show them that I am good enough. I think I’ll be able to relate to them pretty easily though, and that’s an advantage of being young,” Bardal said.

Bardal, who is married and has two children, said Ames’ reputation as a family town also played a big factor in his decision to accept the offer. “It definitely helped in my decision. Players and coaches become one big family under Coach Floyd,” he said.

Rancik is part of a recruiting class that has been rated as high as second in the nation.

However, Bardal said he will reserve his judgments on the new recruits until after the team has started practice.

“People rate these things every year. It would be nice to fulfill the predictions, but we haven’t done anything yet,” he said.