Get the facts straight Partnership Press

John Hobson and Melissa Ferguson

It is true that good editorials are based on facts. The Daily’s student-written editorial (July 17) on Partnership Press’ attempts to portray itself as the “David” in a “David and Goliath” struggle is a good editorial — because it was based on true facts.

Unfortunately, despite all its claims, the letter to the editor submitted by The Campus Reader’s editor, Alice Lukens, (July 22) was not based on true facts.

The Daily is owned by a non-profit corporation. This means that, by law, any revenues received must go back into production of the newspaper — unlike Partnership Press’ profits, which go to its owner’ pockets. This is why we have state of the art facilities, from computer pagination systems to digital cameras, to meet our mission of publishing an excellent product and providing students with educational opportunities that complement their classroom work at Iowa State.

A district court judge has ruled that, for purposes of the Iowa public records law, the corporation is a “governmental body.” (Contrary to what Ms. Lukens believes, the judge’s ruling does not mean the corporation is a part of lSU itself.)

The issue is presently on appeal to the Iowa Supreme Court — an appeal that was filed after Partnership Press, not satisfied to simply win what they claimed was the “real” issue of principle — “the public’s right to know” — filed its own appeal demanding the students at the Daily pay their legal fees which total around $150,000.

There is one of Ms. Luken’s facts on which we do agree — that Partnership Press started this fight when its advertising dollars were being affected. Its actions are prompted by concerns of money, not principle.

So, if Partnership Press wins its appeal, the money will not come from ISU as they would have you believe — it will come from student money that would otherwise go to student scholarships, improved training for students and equipment that would produce a better Daily for students.

Their actions hurt students, the very ones they claim support.

The latest comments of Ms. Lukens and her employers at Partnership Press, shows what we have believed for some time — that this is due to money and some personal grudge Partnership Press has against Janette Antisdel, general manager of the Daily.

Far from being a “disgruntled former employee,” Ms. Antisdel has been the Daily’s general manager when the paper went from being nearly bankrupt to being fiscally sound. She came to the Daily taking a major pay cut to work with students.

To assert that she is feathering her own nest at the students’ expense is defamatory and warrants an apology.

All major decisions about the operation of the paper, policies, equipment purchases, salaries, and other issues are made by the student-controlled board of directors.

To claim that professionals have taken over is false and an insult to the board. We put a lot of time and effort into our decisions and take responsibility for them.

The professional positions are there to both teach and support students and, contrary to what Partnership Press claims, have existed for many years prior to Antisdel’s arrival.

It is too bad if Partnership Press does not like the fact that the product produced under student control is more popular than their professional efforts, but that speaks to the success of the ISU program and the efforts of students — not to any takeover by professionals.

We are insulted Partnership Press cannot give credit where credit is due — to the students.

Another important error in Ms. Luken’s list of claims is we have broken the law. We have not. The Daily has consistently followed the advice of its legal counsel and acted appropriately and in good faith, which the judge recognized by refusing to grant Partnership Press’ demands for the students to pay their legal fees.

Those are the facts. The Daily’s students who published the editorial — with complete control of the press and without any approval from the board or professionals — had the facts right to begin with.

John Hobson is the chairman of the Iowa State Daily Publication Board and a senior in marketing.

Melissa Ferguson is the vice-chair of the Iowa State Daily Publication Board and a graduate student in entomology.