To speak or not to speak

At first glance, the moving of the student free-speech area from Carver Hall to the Hub may appear to be a victory for students, but a closer look at the issues surrounding the subject makes us ask who is actually benefitting from the move.

From Iowa State’s standpoint, the university is recognizing the need of the students to have their voices heard. In the future, expect Iowa State officials to point to the Hub as a sign the university is “sensitive” to students’ rights.

However, we think ISU’s position of having special areas set aside for students to speak is a bit bold.

After all, ISU is a public university, paid for with your tax dollars. There are buildings on campus which may have been constructed primarily with donations, but in the end, the campus remains public property.

Since the campus is not private property, students (most of them citizens of the United States) are free to say what they want, when they want, to whom they want.

The government protects the notion, as the founding fathers thought the issue important enough to make free speech the first ammendment in the Bill of Rights.

Yes, there are some exceptions, but they are primarily concerned with what officials, publishers and broadcasters say, not humble citizens. And despite what Iowa State may say, peaceable assembly is protected as well.

We think the university and students should keep these things in mind as future “free-speech areas” are discussed.