The real ISU — powers that be have no clue

Jonquil Wegman

Since this is my last column of the summer, I’d like to take my little allotted space in the Daily to reflect on some of the good things Iowa State offers to students.

ISU is often scrutinized and criticized for, among other things, its quest to become the best land grant university in the nation.

Whether you disagree with the university’s mission, politics and policies, or if you simply feel there lacks a social scene at “Moo U,” there are still some things to be thankful for at good ‘ol ISU.

Maybe you’ve become a disgruntled student because you couldn’t graduate in less than four-and-a-half years or because you disagree with the way Jischke and the administration handle things.

Despite all of ISU’s faults, this university still has a lot of good things.

I think the ISU Daily is one of those good things. I know it’s often criticized, but the students who work here are dedicated.

You have look at all the long hours people like Tim Frerking, this summer’s editor in chief, put in to bring you the news.

Another good thing at ISU is Carmen Cerra, the very talented political cartoonist at the Daily. He’s been a great asset to the Daily this summer and I hope he continues working in the fall.

One of the best things I’ve found at ISU since my arrival as a freshman is the Drummer, ISU’s student-published alternative to mainstream media.

Besides having really cool people as writers, editors and advisors, it has been known to expose social, political and environmental news that is usually hard to find elsewhere.

It has even received awards for its work from the Iowa legislature.

ISU is very fortunate to have a rather large body of student activists.

Whether it’s LGBTA, CURV, the September 29th Movement, the Student Environmental Council or the ISU Greens, there are countless opportunities for every student to activate change.

I think one of the greatest assets to ISU is Milton McGriff, the patriarch of the 9/29 Movement.

Has anyone else been inspired by this man? Even if you don’t agree with him on every issue, you have to respect him for his perseverance and his integrity.

Every time I see Milt walking on campus, he’s stopping to talk to people or to exchange smiles and handshakes. Judging from the number of people I see stopping to talk or just to say hi to him, I don’t think I’m alone in my praise.

ISU is fortunate to have a growing number of student leaders on campus. I don’t have the room to mention every student who has made ISU better in the past year or so, but you know who you are.

I would like to acknowledge the efforts of some students who really stand out in my mind.

First of all, Meron Wondwosen and Alan Nosworthy deserve a lot of credit for their part in the 9/29 Movement the past couple of semesters.

ISU is also lucky to have students like Lisa Hermsen and Jason Gross from CURV. I’m looking forward to seeing what these students and groups have planned for the fall.

Another thing I’ve noticed over the past year or so that I consider good is the growing community of 90s hippies (or whatever they want to be called).

A sixth-year architecture student who was in a project group with me remarked once, “Things have changed in the last couple of years on campus. There’s a lot more fucking weirdos running around campus.”

When I asked what he meant, he said he was talking about all the long-haired people running around in Dead or Phish t-shirts.

Now, I don’t know if wearing a certain kind of tie-dye shirt indicates a certain philosophy, but I’ve noticed some correlation. I think it’s good we’ve got these “weirdos” running around.

One of the best things ISU has going for it is the campus charm.

I fell in love with the campus the first time I came here.

Whenever I begin to feel a little frustrated with ISU for whatever reason, I try to remember why I came here. This university has a beautiful campus, a rich history, and academic programs recognized for their excellence.

Maybe ISU truly is the best land grant university, but for reasons the administration, Jischke, the Board of Regents and Branstad may never know.

Jonquil Wegman is a senior in community and regional planning from Bellevue.