Campus child care center to open in August

Karen Dai

A new child-care option will soon be available to Iowa State faculty, staff and students.

After 18 months of construction, a child care center will open in the Walnut Woods area near the College of Veterinary Medicine, southeast of central campus. The center is scheduled to open in early August.

The 8,000-square-foot center will provide full-time, part-time and drop-in care services for 88 children.

“The center opens 60 percent of the vacancies to student families and 40 percent to staff and faculties,” said Sonia Johnson, coordinator of University Child Care Services.

“The building is designed to give a residential feel where children can learn and grow,” Johnson said. “It’s a wonderful benefit to Iowa State families.”

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, said the new facility cost $1.3 million.

The center is furnished with window seats, lofts and porches. An outdoor play space utilizing the natural surroundings is also included.

The center, ISU’s second child care center, was constructed due to an increasing demand for daycare services, Madden said.

“We have conducted a survey on campus which shows that there are about 350 children who need day care services,” Madden said. “The center is built to ease the demand.”

The university has chosen Bright Horizons, a national provider of work-site child care, to manage the center, he said.

“We have contacted several child-care providers and Bright Horizons offers the best day-care program,” Madden said.

Bright Horizons operates more than 135 centers in 26 states. Among them are the Eagle’s Loft in Ames and the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics Child Care Center in Iowa City.

The center will be open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Monthly tuition will be paid according to gross family income.

Enrollment for the new center will end on Monday, July 14 and will continue as space permits. Inquiries about enrollment can be made at 294-2273.