Cyclone Stadium out, Trice in

Jill Lansing

The 22-year-long wait will finally be over early this fall.

Cyclone Stadium will officially become Jack Trice Stadium the day the Iowa State football team takes on the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

Jack Trice Stadium will be dedicated at pre-game activities planned for Saturday, Aug. 30.

The Jack Trice statue, which was moved this year from its location north of Carver Hall, will also be dedicated in a separate ceremony that same afternoon.

A committee of about 12 students, including members of Government of the Student Body representatives of Minority Student Affairs and the Department of Athletics, have been working to put the final details of the event in order.

Geni Greiner of the ISU Foundation and coordinator of the event hopes to have Jack Trice’s letter which was written before his final game read at the ceremony.

Also expected to speak are GSB President Rob Wiese and ISU President Martin Jischke.

Greiner said she hopes to have past Jack Trice scholars return for the ceremony since Trice has no living family members.

The statue, Greiner said, will be located in the northeast corner of the Olsen Building and structural footings are already in place.

Greiner said much of the dedication will be student-focused. “We’re celebrating his spirit of becoming the best,” she said. Greiner said though they have much of the event planned, they hope to have things solidified in about two weeks.

Wiese said they are hoping to have events that correspond with the dedication.

“One thing we are trying to do is get a tailgate together before the game. I’m hoping it will work,” he said.

Wiese said he is looking forward to the dedication ceremony. “My speech will be about the students’ role and embodying the Jack Trice spirit.”

Final decisions regarding the event will be made in early August during the school break.