Foundation has record year

Tabitha Kinser

In a record-setting fiscal year, the ISU Foundation raised more than $100 million in private funds.

“I think [achieving this milestone] represents a belief from our alumni and our friends in the mission of ISU,” said ISU Foundation President Tom Mitchell. The foundation is responsible for securing and managing private gift support on behalf of Iowa State.

The more than $100 million in private support includes all gifts, new pledges and deferred commitments obtained during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1997. This monetary amount is nearly a 25 percent increase from the $75.5 million generated in the fiscal year of 1996. The number of donors is also on the rise, reaching 48,571 as opposed to 45,258 in the previous year.

Mitchell said the foundation’s numbers are a result of planning for the future. “When you have the combination of distinguished faculty and noteworthy students, they produce the chemistry for knowledge. That chemistry combined with gift support produces the ingredients for success,” he said.

Mitchell said there were three primary university projects which have been strengthened because of private gift-giving this past year.

About 17 million was put towards Stanley and Helen Howe Hall, the first phase of the Engineering and Teaching Research Complex.

One million was donated from Des Moines businessman and entrepreneur John Pappajohn and his wife Mary to establish the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship. The center will re-shape how ISU students approach different types of business ventures.

Additionally, $20 million was raised to advance the Presidential Scholarship Campaign. This provides funding for National Merit and National Achievement Scholars, George Washington Carver Scholars, student leaders and student athletes. ISU topped the nation this past year for the largest increase in National Merit Scholars.

“Much of the credit of this initiative goes to President Jischke and his leadership team for developing a plan to make ISU the best land-grant university in the country,” Mitchell said.

In the future, the foundation will continue fund-raising emphasis in three main areas, Mitchell said. They will focus on strengthening the learning environment with new facilities and equipment. They will continue to support faculty development with endowed chairs and professorships. Additionally, they will focus on student support by offering scholarships.

“People invest in quality,” Mitchell said. “They feel secure that their financial support will enhance the overall quality of ISU. This milestone portrays a testimony to the confidence in the leadership and vision for the future through the implementation of improvement plans.”