Jischke pulls plug on art project for the new Student Health Center

Stacy Housman

Iowa State will pay Texas artist Brad Goldberg $28,000 for an environmental piece designed for the new Student Health Center, but the work will never be seen on campus.

The project, which was to be funded by a state law that requires 0.5 percent of a building’s construction budget to be spent on public art, was stopped by Iowa State President Martin Jischke.

Dr. Robert Patterson, the health center’s director, said a committee worked for about 18 months selected the artist to complete the project. The selection process included getting numerous consultations and was very similar to selecting an architect, he said.

Goldberg’s proposal, an exterior plaza development, was to include a sidewalk design with colored insets and rough-cut benches in an asymmetrical design. John McCarroll, director of University Relations, said Jischke had concerns about the artwork being in a pivotal place on campus.

“He did not feel that appearance was compatible with the surrounding part of the campus,” he said.

McCarroll said it was customary for Jischke to be involved in the selection of exterior artwork. Because he must answer to the state Board of Regents, he needs to have a good sense of what is planned.

“This whole thing is unfortunate. Clearly there was some misunderstanding about when it should be presented to the president,” McCarroll said.

“I don’t believe the university has ever given an artist carte blanche authority to do what they want,” McCarroll said.

While the university will be out the money they owe Goldberg, McCarroll said bids for every element of the building are coming in competitively and there is no financial strain on the project. There will be no cuts in services or equipment, he said.

Ray King, a Philadelphia artist who recently completed some public artwork for the Jacobson Building, will create an internal glass sculpture in the front foyer of the health center. Made up of over 450 pieces of glass, the sculpture will reflect colored light throughout the front entrance. The artwork will be funded by the president’s office, student activities, and the Student Health Center.

McCarroll said Jischke made the commitment of funds to cover the additional project after he stopped the original plans. Jischke will use money from the president’s discretionary fund.

Despite the changes to the artwork, all work on the health center is progressing on schedule, McCarroll said.