Heath center open doors

Carolyn Kapaska

The doors have been opened to better health care… Iowa State’s new Student Health Center.

Dr. Robert Patterson, student health director, said the health center was open for patients on May 16. “Everything is going pretty well,” he said. “The staff is needing to learn to use the new space.”

The $6.3 million facility, located between Beyer Hall and Westgate Hall, has three times more space than the old health center building.

Patterson said there are more procedure and examining rooms, after-hours clinics, and adequate physician and nursing support areas in the new health center. The laboratory equipment has also been updated, which allows diagnostic and treatment services.

The new facility houses not only the health center but also the wellness centers and Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance offices.

Patterson said the benefits of the new spacious Student Health are endless.

A major advantage, Patterson said, is the increased level of efficiency. Long lines and lengthy waits should no longer be a problem at the Student Health Center. Patterson said students are moved through the new facility quickly.

With more examination rooms, Patterson said, the waiting time is greatly reduced.

“We will be able to meet student traffic,” he said.

Patterson said the amount of privacy has also increased with the relocation of the health center. The new building was designed to be acoustically absorbent to prevent private topics from being overheard.

“We just didn’t have private places in the old building,” he said.

The entire atmosphere of the new building is an improvement in itself, Patterson said.

“It’s a beautiful place,” he said. “It is very clean and sharp looking.”

Currently, Patterson said, the focus of construction is the parking lot. Patterson said he hopes all construction will be completed by the beginning of the fall semester.

He said as of now, the predicted date of completion should not be a problem.