Tearoom provides ISU students with place to learn food production

Stacy Housman

For many students, one of the most important things to leave college with is experience in their desired fields.

That’s exactly what the Tearoom provides students enrolled in quantity food production and service managment experience, HRI 380L.

Since 1927, the Tearoom has given students an opportunity to prepare meals for about 100 people complete with an entree, vegetable or salad, fresh bread, desert and beverage.

Thomas Walsh, head of the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management, said the main purpose of the Tearoom is to provide students a laboratory to prepare them for all areas of their future careers.

It provides students with an opportunity to look at food service from a management perspective and, he said, to get first hand experience in food production working with larger quantity equipment.

“These are very valuable to graduates of the program,” Walsh said.

Students also learn skills relative to cleanliness, sanitation and attitude of customer service.

“We do hope they develop standards that are high to take with them,” Walsh said.

Operating the Tearoom is no small task. Janice Dana, instructor of the course, said students are in lab for around five hours Tuesday through Friday and are expected to spend time outside of class planning their meal.

While the instructor decides the menu, a student kitchen manager is appointed every day to make decisions including dividing up assignments, choosing place settings and serving dishes.

“It keeps them very busy,” Dana said.

As with most required courses, students often don’t appreciate the experiences they’ve gained until the class is completed. However, Dana said that many go away with memories of things that happened while they were working in the Tearoom.

“It’s kind of like climbing a mountain. Sometimes when you’re in the process it’s a little overwhelming,” Dana said.

Despite the effort that students must put into the class, they do receive much assistance from staff members, Dana said.

There are two teaching assistants and two lab assistants that help with the purchasing, taking reservations, and the general operating of the restaurant.

“We have quite a support system of instructional staff,” Dana said.

The experience students gain from the course allows them to find jobs in a variety of areas. Most students start in a management training program and then advance to higher positions, said Walsh.

Others will start their own businesses. “Two of our graduates this term went with the McDonald’s corporation,” Walsh said.

While this semester’s students are still going through an orientation to the class, the Tearoom will open this summer on Thursday, June 19. Students will have the opportunity to practice their menus on Tuesday and Wednesday for graduate students and faculty.

The Tearoom serves meals by reservation only Tuesday through Friday from noon to 1 p.m. Reservations can be made by calling the Tearoom at 294-3330.