Getting freaky about mother nature

Jonquil Wegman

I found out last week that I’ve received somewhat of a reputation at the Daily for the kind of stories I write.

It seems people think I’m some sort of nature freak because I covered a lot of environmental stories last semester.

Oh well. I admit it.

Now, before you stop reading my column because you think I’m a radical environmentalist, hear me out. I’m not radical, I just really care about the future of our planet and believe it is part of human responsibility to take care of our home.

Many people associate a negative connotation with the word “environmentalism” because they envision a radical, monkey-wrenching, sneaky terrorist creeping around a logging site at night.

However, that scenario is quite different from common, everyday environmentalism.

Groups like the Sierra Club have been around for more than a century, and, in that time, they have developed a legitimate and respectable environmentalism that strives to clean up the land, air and water for everyone.

I became an environmentalist after being influenced by two life-changing events. One, in 1989, was when my aunt gave me a copy of the Earth Works booklet “50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth.” After reading it, I realized you could be an environmentalist without making drastic changes in your lifestyle.

The second life-changing event happened as I walked through the parking lot at my first Grateful Dead show. A bumper sticker on the back of a car read “Live Simply that Others May Simply Live.” That single sentence struck me — it really made a lot of sense to me.

I now had the ingredients for environmentalism. I knew I had to live a simple lifestyle, and I had the “50 Simple Things” to guide me.

In this column, I’ve decided to dispel the stereotype of an environmentalist by showing just how easy, non-radical and common it is to be one.

Over the past few years, I’ve continually added my own list of things to the first 50. The following are some suggestions for five simple things you can do in Ames, Iowa to save the earth:

1. Recycle: Recycling is easy, ecological and economical. Fresh Aire Delivery Service does door-side recycling for $3.00 per pickup and the Ames Area Recycling Center on East Lincoln Way has drop-off bins.

2. Pre-cycle: Pre-cycling means reducing waste before you buy by purchasing things that are biodegradable or have reduced packaging. When you buy things, keep in mind how much waste the product will create. If you’re going to throw away a lot of packaging, choose a substitute.

3. Join an environmental organization: Most people don’t have the time to track legislative votes or lobby Congress to make sure beneficial environmental legislation gets a fair chance. However, groups like the Sierra Club can do this if they are supported by members. Plus, these groups also provide educational and leisure activities, and most offer reduced student-membership rates.

4. Buy organic and locally produced food: Buying organically grown food supports agriculture that uses less or no chemicals, which reduces pollution threats to the soil and water. Organic farming is a low-impact, sustainable method that uses appropriate technology to replenish and maintain the fertility of the land. Wheatsfield Grocery in downtown Ames and the Magic Beanstalk CSA sell organic products at reasonable prices.

5. Take an environmental studies class at ISU: The environmental studies program has really grown in the last semester. The classes are very diverse, offering both science and issues courses. And, I think the environmental studies professors are really cool, especially Dr. Tanner!

I don’t expect everyone to adopt these “crazy” environmentalist ideas all at once. Just try one or two a month. In the end, it’ll help us all!

Jonquil Wegman is a senior in community and regional planning from Bellevue.