State gives ISU $42 million for undergrads

Denise Smith

The new Iowa budget will be submitted to the state Board of Regents for final approval July 1 and, if passed, Iowa State will benefit in a big way.

John Anderson, associate director of university relations, said ISU could receive up to $42 million in new funds from the state of Iowa, most of which is intended to improve undergraduate education.

“The state has already approved the budget, and we fully anticipate the state Board of Regents passing it because they have already given preliminary approval,” he said.

“If this budget is passed we will receive $269 million in state funding, which is an increase from last year when we received $227 million,” Anderson said.

The top goal of Iowa State’s strategic plan is to improve undergraduate education, and $6 million of new or internally reallocated funds will go to initiatives aimed at achieving this goal on which the president, provost, and college deans work, Anderson said.

“Some of the funds will be used to support the Center for Teaching Excellence and to acquire new courses and curriculum,” Anderson said. Half of the funds, which total about $3 million, will be expected to go toward student aid.

ISU President Martin Jischke said Governor Branstad and the Iowa Legislature deserve “high marks” for continuing to invest in higher education at ISU by already approving the budget.

“We are very appreciative of their confidence and support, and will see that they get an excellent return on their investment,” Jischke said.

“In many other states, when you cut taxes you cut higher education,” said Carol Bradley, ISU director of governmental relations. “While Iowa lawmakers believe that cutting taxes will stimulate the economy, they also feel that increasing the investment in Iowa State is important to the state’s future.”

The proposals for legislative funding to Iowa State running from July 1, 1997, to June 30, 1998, includes nearly $21 million for the second phase of construction on the Engineering Teaching and Research Facility. Anderson said preliminary work for phase one of the facility has already started and ground breaking will be in the fall.

Lawmakers designated $9.27 million for livestock research facilities at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Most of the funds will go for construction of an infectious disease isolation facility, where researchers will study animal diseases important to the livestock industry in Iowa.

A proposal for $1 million will be used to rebuild engineering education. The project will involve new learning methods, co-op and internship programs for all students, and business and college partnerships.

“The funds reflect support for creating the most skillful work force we can have in our state. Engineers are essential to the small to medium-sized manufacturing firms that have become such an important part of the Iowa economy,” Bradley said.

About $475,000 will be brought forward for library acquisitions. The funds will buy materials and periodicals in critical collections.

The regents will look at renewing $400,000 for ISU research and demonstration projects involving odor control in livestock production.

In addition, a new one-time appropriation of $200,000 will fund ISU research on sites with earthen waste storage structures.

“This has been a problem on several sites in Iowa, so ISU will be working to develop a solution,” Anderson said.