Students will not have to pay increased user fees at ISU rec center

Trudy Henkels

Iowa State students do not have to worry about increased user fee’s at Lied Recreation/Athletic Facility.

The faculty and staff of ISU, however, will face increased fees.

Though user fees have gone up for the first time since the center opened in 1990, students won’t pay the additional user fee to work out at the rec center. The student fee of $15.25, taken out with students’ tuition bill until the debt on Lied Center is paid, will remain unchanged.

The faculty and staff, however, will pay an additional $10 annually, making the new fee $80 per year or $40 per semester.

The ISU Alumni Association members, spouses, and dependents age 18 and over will now will pay $180 per person annually. This figure is up $30 from the current $150 rate.

Larry Cooney, director of recreation services, said the increase is necessary due to inflation and the continual maintenance needed at the center.

“In the near future, the carpet will be replaced and the air ducts will be cleaned,” Cooney said.

But Cooney said that the majority of the funds will go to wages for the workers.

“The rec center’s wages and salaries have all increased because of inflation, but (until now) our user fees have not increased.”

The center is able to stay open 16 hours a day due to the student supervisors who are paid with user fees. The center employs 200-300 students throughout the year, Cooney said.

Cooney said the rec center is continually being updated and maintained so the facility does not deteriorate.

“We try to continually replace and update fitness equipment,” he said. “The big thing is we try to keep a quality facility and good program at the lowest possible cost.”

Faculty, staff and students do not have to pay user fees to have access to Beyer Hall, State Gym and Forker Hall (formerly the Physical Education Building). However, Beyer Hall and the rec center’s locker and towel fee will increase from $40 to $50 annually.

Cooney said that operating costs should stay down if managers keep an eye on operations, and that it will hopefully be another eight years until there will be another user fee increase of any kind.