Cubs draft Teut in fourth round

Jayadev Athreya

ISU’s recent history of sending players high in the major league baseball draft continued in 1997, with the drafting of pitchers Nathan Teut and Ryan Seifert.

Teut was selected in the fourth round by the Chicago Cubs, and Seifert was picked by the Colorado Rockies in the 12th round.

As juniors, they each had a .333 winning percentage in 1997, Teut going 3-6 with a 7.34 ERA, and Seifert going 4-8 with a 6.11 ERA.

ISU baseball coach Lyle Smith was upbeat about their prospects in the majors.

“Nathan has a high ceiling, so to speak. He’s 6 feet 6 inches and can throw in the low 90’s, and being left-handed gives him an advantage. “He’s got a future in baseball,” Smith said.

Of Seifert, Smith said, “Ryan also has a future in baseball. He can throw in the high 80’s, low 90’s, and neither he nor Nathan has peaked yet.”

About their contributions to the program, “both are outstanding kids who worked hard,” Smith said. “They are good students, the epitome of the term student athlete. Though we’re not wild about them leaving school, their clubs will pick up the last year of their education,” Smith said.

Both athletes served on their high school councils, and Teut is an honor student, while Seifert was selected to the Big Eight honor roll in 1995.

They both had exemplary high school careers and were all-around athletes.

Seifert, of Chaska, Minnesota, was all -conference, all metro, all state and an all-star in his senior year.

He captained his team, ending with a career record of 15-4 and a 1.41 ERA. Seifert also held a .438 batting average with 31 RBI’s and five homers.

He was also all-conference in basketball.

Teut, of Paton-Churdan, Iowa, once pitched three consecutive no-hitters and once struck out 18 batters.

He was first-team all-state as a senior and was all-conference every year.

Teut was also MVP in basketball as a junior and senior and represented his school in golf.

They both have excelled at Iowa State as well. Teut was named to the Big Eight first-team in 1996 and placed 10th in the league for strikeouts per game, with nearly seven a game.

Seifert ranked fifth in strikeouts with over eight per game in 1996.

Teut and Seifert went 1-2 in strikeouts that year. Seifert also recorded two saves, despite being used primarily in the starter position.