Ellen called a pioneer by Iowa State student viewers

Amyi Hanks Foell

“Ellen” came out of the closet Wednesday night, and Iowa State students came out of the woodwork to show support.

The students celebrated with an “Ellen Coming Out House Party” during the popular sitcom, “Ellen,” on Wednesday.

The group gathered in the Westgate Hall Lounge from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. to celebrate the historic television event. Ellen DeGeneres’ character, Ellen Morgan, declared she is a lesbian during Wednesday night’s episode. She is the first openly gay lead character in TV history.

“It put a knot in my stomach. They put in some good [serious] things, but kept in humor to make it easier,” said Sarah Kerschenske, a junior in sociology.

“One of the nice things the show brought up was a lot of issues, and that’s what needs to be done,” said Karen Faber, a senior in history, English and anthropology.

Students said they were hopeful that “Ellen” would set a precedent for other homosexual characters.

But not everyone was pleased with TV’s first homosexual character. There is an ongoing public-pressure campaign initiated by The Rev. Jerry Falwell and the conservative American Family Association. They have been protesting the three major corporate sponsors of the show: Chrysler Corporation, General Motors and Johnson & Johnson.

Chrysler is threatening to pull its advertising during “Ellen” until “media and public hype” around Wednesday’s episode declines. Chrysler representatives said their decision is not a social statement, but that it’s just not good business to be involved with a “highly polarized and emotional environment.”

General Motors will re-evaluate its advertising as well. GM officials said they will base continued sponsorship on an evaluation of the show’s “fairness and family values.”

Chrysler, General Motors and Johnson & Johnson did not advertise during Wednesday’s episode.

“That’s the whole thing with the commercial. Too many people pay attention to the commercials and not enough about what the show is saying,” said Courtney King, a senior in English.

“I think people need to wake up,” said Steven Steele, a junior in computer engineering.

“It just shows a bunch of ignorance. They just don’t want to lose that market segment,” King said.

Students said people are more supportive of lesbians and gays during their college years, but many lesbians and gays fear going into the “real world.”

“Awareness is rising. I think it is within our reach. In our generation, homosexuals will be accepted,” Faber said.

“But we’re still fighting that battle,” Steele added.

In the episode, Ellen Morgan meets Susan, played by Laura Dern, through a friend. Later Susan reveals that she’s gay, and Ellen doesn’t know how to react. Ellen goes to a therapist, played by Oprah Winfrey, and discovers that she is attracted to Susan, and that she is also gay. As the show goes on, Ellen finds out that Susan is in a long-term relationship and ends the show with a coming out party of her own.

At the therapist’s office, Ellen remarks, “There’s a lot of people out there who think people like me are sick. Why did I rent Personal Best?”

Not missing a step, the therapist remarks, “You can’t blame all this on the media, Ellen.”